Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner

I am going to get a vareation for a .270, .308 or a 30-06 still to decide witch would sute me best.I use a .222 & a .243 at the moment.

Wanting to start to reload so am looking for some advice.
    I am thinking about one of the Lee reloading kits dont wont to spent to much at the moment incase i dont get the bug for reloading.

Any advice & guideance to point me in the right direction would be gratley appreceated.

You don't say what you want the new rife for. It's difficult to make suggestions without knowing what it's use is going to be.

However a .308 is never an bad choice .

The new rifle would be for manely Reds had a bad day out on the hill a while back.
    Had a day out with the FC booked for myself & a friend on the hinds.
    We where both using .243 it was snowing & quite windy we got in to some hinds both of us got set up about 200m from the hinds both of us took the shot at the same time 2 clean misses. We had both took in to account the weather conditions but underestamated the wind.

Got a bit of a ribbing from the FC ranger but we ended up with 3 hinds & 2 calfs for the day.
    After that i decided to go for somthing that would be more capable on the open hill.

OK then the .270 has less wind drift than the .30 cals according to this calculator:-

The 150 Grn BTSP Speer #1604 if Speers Coefficeient is correct has a drift of 6" at 200 yards in a 20MPH crosswind at a muzzle velocity of 2900 fps. The .270 150 Grn has less drift than the 130 Grn but you can play with the calculator and see for your self. Oh the .30 cal 150 grn BTSP Speer at a muzzle velocity of 2800fps has a drift of 7.73" at 200 yards and 6.84" at 2900fps.

I believe you will find that this is why the .270 Winchester was such a popular cartridge for the Hill in Scotland. Why it became unfashionable in some quarters I don't know I know that a fair few members here use it and there is also a following for the 25-06 .

Hope that helps a little.

All those cartridges are good for red deer. Am a great fan of the .270 and .308. Far less experience of the '06.
    That said you can't throw blame at .243 for misses at 200 yards even in wintry conditions. You could have had a .308 in your paws and both done the same thing. Happens to us all sometime, especially under pressure or when dripping wet and frozen to the core.
    I also love .243 and I've seen that cartridge perform solidly on the hill and at range, just as I have the .270.
    Lots on here love the '06 and .25-06. I also rate the 7x57 with handloads. Personally, for a hill rifle, I would reach for my .270. Wait a bit..maybe the .308 today. Ach ********, pass me that old .243 again would you?

The 30-06 gets my nod. Versatility and power. Less wind drift with a 270? How far are you planning to shoot??

Common bullets for the 30-06 range from 110 grains to 220 grains. It will do pretty much everything. JMHO~Muir

Have shot deer over 250m with the .243 so no blame there only problem on the day was the nugget on the trigger not getting his **** sorted.
    Just looking for somthing that is a bit more capable on the hill & i am shooting more reds than i use to.
    The range that i would be comfortable with would be 250m -300m max.
    Regularly shoot roe deer & foxes over 250m with my .222 but that is a totaly diffrant ballgame to a .270 or a 30-06.

To compliment a .222 rem and a .243 Win then it has to be one of the long action calibres mentioned. .30-'06 Sringfield and .270 Win are both ideal for the uses you have decribed. Probably comes down to personal choice and availability. If pushed I would go for the .270 (as I have always had one on know what it can do). Nice to see someone using, or at least considering, the old tried and tested calibres, the reason they have stood the test of time is because they work. JC

If you have a look at GunTrader there are 167 .308 rifles to choose from, 76 .270 calibre and only 29 .30-06. If you are after a second hand rifle .308 seems to be a better option, athough .270 rifles are generally cheaper. 308 ammunition is probably most widely available.

Now I know what you're needing it for I suggest .270. Never been without one for 19 years I think.
    Flat shooting and hits hard. Easy to homeload for and good factory rounds available. Get it moderated with a Jet Z or a compact mod and you'll have a cracking hinds rifle.
    You won't need to go above 130gr bullets. They'll deal with the biggest stags too.
    Good luck with whatever you choose. -Craig