Scotland and Independence- an impartial view

Alistair

I almost hesitate to bring up this whole can of worms again, but I thought that this article may be of interest to some of us on both sides of the border.

Scotland: What if independence goes horribly wrong? - health - 30 May 2014 - New Scientist

Certainly seems a more balanced and factually accurate assessment of the whole situation than most of the rubbish being spouted by certain politicians (who will remain nameless)

Please note that, despite the title, it isn't all doom and gloom.

Any thoughts?

Alistair

There is so much that has not been clarified regarding Independence, that I don't believe that the Scottish know what a yes vote will really mean.
Passports, Driving licence, car registration? and many more. All these sorts of thing are UK systems.
Let alone the can of worms with Currency and EU membership.
If Scotland votes yes then good for them I am just concerned that the Politicians are not answering the questions that are being asked.

I wish Scotland the best be it yes of no but honestly with politicians making the decisions.

We are all doomed.

Well, in fairness, it's a little early to say for certain that we are all doomed, but it's certainly a fascinating topic! This weeks New Scientist is well worth a read if you can find a copy, it devotes about 20 pages to the issue, from the viability of Scottish oil and what that means for the populace all the way through to their emergent green technology market. It is also on the website at the top of this thread. Having been a subscriber for nearly 12 months, it's nice to finally read a few articles which I am genuinely interested in...:doh:

Also, it seems that the Scots may at least have a fighting chance for a better future, assuming their politicians have the balls to make the big decisions.
See;
Scotland: Four futures for an independent Scotland - 30 May 2014 - New Scientist
Scotland: Oil and gas at heart of Scots' future wealth - tech - 29 May 2014 - New Scientist
Scotland: Ape Israel to build a start-up nation - tech - 29 May 2014 - New Scientist
Scotland: Wind will power the Scots' green ambitions - environment - 30 May 2014 - New Scientist

Last edited:
Firstly I'm not anti English ... My wife English .... I don't know answers to questions being asked & feel we aren't getting answers but when you see the reality of being run by a government that doesn't have you as their priority ?

Joanna Lamont
"Scots are not genetically programmed to make decisions".
Telling us we are idiots basically .... Why more if this wasn't picked up on in media I don't know

Boris Johnson
" a pound spent in croyden is far better than a pound spent in strath Clyde"

You could go on ...
But basically it's clear that the folks in charge way down south count us way down the pecking order but happy to hold hand out to what we contribute

Fair?
No

Answers to questions aside this referendum is to decide let them continue to treat us as have been

Or

Decide for ourselves
!!!!!
That's it
!!!!

I hate salmond wouldn't **** on him or Kenny Makasgill if they wee on fire

But
IF we decide to go it alone make our own decisions
Then we decide who we want to do it

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
the first quote is a disgraceful thing to have been said, especially by leader of the Scottish Labour Party (it's johann lamont, born in Glasgow and a politician in Scotland).

boris is johnson is mayor of London, you might expect him to favour investment in London.

Not her finest choice of words (she's not the finest politician so there should be no real surprise!) but it's well understood what she actually meant. It just makes better political capital for 'Yes' supporters to imply she was denigrating the Scots' abilities to make political choices. She wasn't (and I'm no fan of her or her party).

The quality of debate up here on such an important matter has been absolutely abysmal but in part I think that is because there is very little of substance to debate at the moment. There are no party political or policy questions to really kick around just now, because that all follows the country's decision. The detail of an independent Scotland would get thrashed out in the negotiation phase that would follow a yes vote and only then would the detail of currency, the military, shared (or not!) public bodies etc. get settled. Anyone who states a position on these beforehand is only guessing! Similarly it's not a party political issue because that will be settled in the next and subsequent elections that would take place after 2016. You're not voting for a government in September that get's to stay 'in' for all eternity.

I actually think this is a question that voters need to answer from their heart as much as their head. Based on how you feel about the Union or how vexed you choose to get about being ruled from Westminster by a party you may not have voted for (it's democracy! that's how it works!!) I think you'll make your vote. In my case I think we're better together (snappy slogan! they should use that...) and I believe a majority will agree. But.... I also have a lot of faith in Scotland as a country and if the vote goes the other way I am optimistic we'll make a pretty good fist of it. I really can't believe there is only one 'right' answer and that if we go the other way it will be certain doom and disaster. That is too depressing a prospect.

Still voting No though!

Probably not the best thing for her to have said, lol.

Back