foxes in the snow

wraith

out the last few nights foxing in the snow missed one at 60yards :eek: it jumped the wall and ran right past me like a bat out of hell so gave it a 80g pill up the backside as it was running away from me 230yards :) lifted it by the head and every thing droped out the backside of it funey how you can miss a simple shot and then pull of a blinder wonder what the farmer is going to think fox looked like it had a humping from a elephant :lol: so hows every ones foxing going in the snow good bad saw lots of deer out last night so had a play with the deer call they never ran off even when i got to about 70yards was waching a nice buck in velvet for about 20min looks like he will be a nice trophey come buck season dont like shooting does even if they are in season think im getting old at one time id have shot every deer i spotted so giving the foxes a hard time in stead get rid of the foxes stalking for free rabbits multiply more shooting win win farmer hates foxes in saying that he hates deer more :eek: all i get is shoot the lot ticks t/b foot and mouth kill the buggers now why cant i get more shoots like that :lol:

finnbear270 said:
I take it for granted, that you waited for it to stop. :eek:
it did stop when hit sorrey finnbear i have no love for foxes vermin are vermin as for the poor fox its dead thats what counts where i shoot yes we can all go in to one about injured animals i dont think im alone in shooting foxes on the run far from it im there to do a job nail foxes vermin if they stop il shoot them if they run and i know the land and the shot is there then il taik it if not i wont pull the trigger may not be to every ones liking but i live in the real world where im asked to get rid of foxes this i do to the best of my abilites im not condoning shooting foxes on the run if you do it you do it if you dont then dont but please dont think as you dont do it the rest of the world dosent shoot foxes on the run somtimes we have no choice its shoot or let it get away and i think thats up to the individual to shoot or not so sorrey if this is not to your liking bud just for the record i dont shoot runing deer and shot placment is critical for foxes if i knock them over the farmers happy

i have shot a few on the run but as a rule i dont at the end of the day its bloody hard and i cant do it consistently and as soon as you miss one in the lamp it will take a good few months for it to settle down in the lamp again

sir-lamp-alot said:
i have shot a few on the run but as a rule i dont at the end of the day its bloody hard and i cant do it consistently and as soon as you miss one in the lamp it will take a good few months for it to settle down in the lamp again
thanks for that bud im not alone then im not saying every one should do it just pointing out somtimes we have to go with the flow i dont lamp bud and i supose the light flikering of evey bit of grass must give you a very distorted image with night vision good night vision its green day light and gives much more detail as the target runs over roughf ground foxey stands out very well like a black fox on a green back ground not hard to miss or folow in the scope

i take it you actually aimed for it's butt or just shot at the moving body in a hope to nail it and landed lucky :rolleyes:
more out of wonder than anything else

I am glad you raised the topic, as I was not sure if we were allowed to raise fox shooting issues on the forum, so have not posted.

Well we had a good covering in South Gols so we being making hay while the sun shines so to speak. We been averaging 2 per session since x mas, and lots have been shot without any lamp/NV, also coincided with my mate getting a new toy, .17 remmy fireball which delivers 20grn v max with awsome speed and accuracy.

I have been amazed to how close we have got to charlie, one night I watched a fox for a good 10 mins and it got to within 10yds of me as it hunted mice in the snow, no gun at hand.

One night we spent 20 mins watching a pair in pre mating rituals as they raced arround a small field, almost playing king of the castle on a water trough.

The snow made run identification so much easier and I had a lovely ambush on a big vixen as she came across a big white stubble field on route to a chicken house.

My buddy has given me lessons in brace shooting, he nailed 2 pairs on succesive nights, both in the 120-150yd range, must say the .17 is v quiet and the snow just soakes up the noise.

We hit our local foxes v hard, but the snow revealed another 4 we need to get, mind you we had 2 of them on Tuesday night (152 and 200+ yds)

D

Back