New Model Sako 85 Synthetic Black - Screw Cut???

HiAfter many years of faithful service, I am getting rid of my 308 Tikka T3 Varmint (it’s too heavy!). To replace it, I have ordered a 308 Sako 85. It is a new 2014 model called a Sako 85 Synthetic Black (ie the barrel and other metal details are in finished black). It’s really hard to get good info on this rifle from the distributor (as its new), so if anyone has actually received one, can you tell me if it was screw cut for a moderator?Thanks

Wow! I am an '85 fan anyway, but that looks like a stunning rifle. Whilst I haven't seen one, I hope you don't mind me contributing the following:

1) I doubt it is threaded because Sako steadfastly refused to thread the Finnlight from the factory which, it seems, has the same barrel profile.
2) The spec on the website only offers one set of information for barrel length. On the models which are definitely threaded, there is a '**' next to a barrel length option which indicates a muzzle thread. For instance, the Varmint Laminated Stainless and Hunter Laminated Stainless (which I have) both show this option.

regards

Ian

I have a black 308 on order and have been told that it isn't screw cut. Delivery due Sept.

mmm, looks like it isnt going to be screw cut :(

I will just have to get it cut by an aftermarket company. Hopefully the black touch up on the thread area wont spoil the look of the rifle too much, although the moderator will of course be on most of the time. Anyway, looking forward to using this lighter rifle....

Me and my Tikka were out for a look tonight at dusk, but only does kicking about....

The Sako 85 black is 2.8Kg, while the Tikka T3 Varmint is 3.4Kg or 3.6Kg depending on barrel length. So, that's at least 600 grams.

regards

Ian

So my Sako 85 Synthetic Black (new 2014 model) has finally arrived!!!!!

It didn’t come with a screw cut barrel, so I had it cut and end cap made. Had to have the whole thing re-blued as a result though. Also had to have it re-proofed after threading, but I finally got all the work finished and stated to zero the rifle and break in the barrel (two shot, clean, two shots clean etc etc).

Well it’s very very different to my Trusty Tikka T3 Varmint (both 308s). Its better made, the action is smoother, more bits are metal rather than plastic and its got a very high quality “soft grip” feature around the stock. Its so much lighter than my old Tikka. I found out that the Sako 85 Synthetic Black is based on the 85 Finnlight, rather than the standard weight 85 model, and it feels like a toy in comparison! The barrel is free floating and moves around noticeably more that my Tikka Varmint. We put a fair few rounds through it for zeroing purposes (after breaking in the barrel) and despite its very thin diameter barrel, it held a zero perfectly for 5 or 6 rapid fire shots. I had presumed such a thin barrel would go off zero after a couple of quick shots, but not so ! I have an Atec moderator on it, which helps reduce the barrel lift and the noise of course. It’s now zeroed perfectly (with my Zeiss Victory HT), but the Sako 85 fairly leaps in the air after a shot compared to the heavy Tikka T Varmint. Without the moderator, the Sako shoots 4” higher at 100m than with a moderator. By comparison, My heavy Tikka T3 varmint shot pretty much exactly the same with or without a moderator!

So, the gun looks pretty good. Am off out to see if I can get a red stag with it on Sunday….

Back