UIT rail

Erik Hamburger

Please could somebody tell me what U.I.T. stands for (I guess it could be 'Universal' and 'Integral' and 'Track'?)
I have a new rifle with an UIT rail below the stock for mounting accessories such as a torch or a QD adapter - but I can find few references to the UIT rail online, so what bits to buy to do something useful with it, such as mounting a small red LED torch?
Any pointers much appreciated.

Union Internationale de Tir or International Shooting Union. with all due respect Eric it took all of 30 seconds to find out what it stands for using google.
However your UIT rail is designed for such shooting aids as hand stops and palm rests as well as a very handy little bipod so you can put your rifle down when not shooting in the upright position.
My shooting buddy has a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock which has an accessory rail under the forend but whether this is UIT spec i dont know.
He did get harris bipod adaptor for it but i would check that any bits you are going to buy for yours will fit a UIT rail before parting with any money.

Ian.

Union Internationale de Tir or International Shooting Union. with all due respect Eric it took all of 30 seconds to find out what it stands for using google.
However your UIT rail is designed for such shooting aids as hand stops and palm rests as well as a very handy little bipod so you can put your rifle down when not shooting in the upright position.
My shooting buddy has a Choate Ultimate Varmint stock which has an accessory rail under the forend but whether this is UIT spec i dont know.
He did get harris bipod adaptor for it but i would check that any bits you are going to buy for yours will fit a UIT rail before parting with any money.

Ian.

However, you saved me 30 sec. of my valuable time ;)
Many thanks.

The UIT rail was developed by Anschutz for their target rifles, back in the early 1960s. Changing or moving hand stops, slings, bipod rests, palm rests, etc is very quick, and you can put them exactly where you want them.

Today, there are add-on UIT rails which you can fit to a rifle by routing out a channel and fastening it with the screws, usually four of them.

Versa-Pod makes an adapter for their field bipod with is like a hand stop on the rear, with the mounting peg cantilevered out the front of it. They are about $40 US at Midwy and Brownell's. This is bipod mount is like some of the military ones, and lets the rifle swivel on it to prevent twisting the forend, so you have to anchor the butt of the rifle really well.

You did not say what make and model of rifle you have. Some of the military rifles, like the Steyr SSG-69 and newest SSG 08, come with the Anschutz rail, so these makers also have accessories to fit the rifles.

Last edited:
My Tikka M55 Master Sporter has two of these rails fitted - one underneath for sling / bipod / hand rest & one along the left side of the fore stock - I presume that's for special biathalon sling arrangements. It's a great system for fine positioning of the bipod.

Ian

Like Southern say's, I also know it being called an "Anschuetz Rail". If done right it is quite a sturdy way of fitting bipods etc.
For the huge bipods used in the F/TR class I fit a piece of rail by moulding the carbon fibre around an insert in the mould. Rail is a tight fit. Backing inside the stock is an alu profile wrapped in carbon to take the threads.
Recon it is a nice bit stiffer than a pica rail when using a 50cm wide bipod.

in the raw
anschuetzopening.jpg

etacrail.jpg

edi

Back