hunting boar with dogs in the uk

apollo

Are the wild boar in this country covered under the wildlife and countryside act 1981, if not would it be legal to hunt them with dogs with permission.

Hypotheticly ofcoarse as i only have an 8 year old jack russel :lol:

The term "Grey area " springs to mind, has it hasn`t been done before there wouldn`t be a precident set,yet!
I think it wouldn`t be allowed,same as for deer (if i got it right).
I did hear of a chap in South Wales who wanted to hunt deer with a Eagle/Buzzard/Hawk or whatever, and he was told it`s illegal.
Would have to be some bloody good dogs.

its a question off another forum where a chap asked if you can hunt them over here with dogs, so i said you can still hunt a fox with two dogs to be shot but iwas not sure about boar.
the forestery commision would not allow it on thier land im sure...eddie

Hypotheticly of coarse as i only have an 8 year old jack russel
Is that so? But you sympathies and interests are well recorded ;)

As far as your question is concerned. My understanding of the Wildlife act and the Hunting bill would allow the hunting of feral boar with dogs. As long as the boar were killed in a legitimate manner . i.e. shot.

However you would most properly fall foul of the Animal Welfare and Protection bill, due to your placing the dogs used in danger of injury or death when the boar was brought to bay. If you intended to adopt the Australian and New Zealand hunting methods where the dogs bring the boar to bay and the hunter then dispatches the boar using a number of different methods, again you would fall foul of the law as pig sticking would be considered an unacceptable method of dispatch. Not sure that I would want to be trying to blast an irate boar at close range with a large calibre weapon when theres a pack of dogs milling around keeping the thing at bay.

Boar and dogs

Hi Apollo
I know a chap who farms Boar not far from where I live.
He had a couple of sows get out into his wood (still in the farm outer enclosure unfortunately) he decided to try and put his big Australian sheep dog round them to get them in, big mistake, big vets bill and lots of stitches. They eventually walked back in on there own :oops:

WD

I thought as much mate, he was asking about the legal aspects and i couldnt give him an answer.
I think the pigs they hunt in australia are more pig than boar though.....
Eddie..........

apollo said:
I thought as much mate, he was asking about the legal aspects and i couldnt give him an answer.
I think the pigs they hunt in australia are more pig than boar though.....
Eddie..........

Don't know about Australia but in N.Z. were I have hunted “pigs” with dogs they have both wild pigs and wild boar (Captain Cooks) the wild pigs are no less dangerous than boar and can be bigger.

There is a attrition rate among the pig dogs :confused: especially when they are young and inexperienced, bit of natural selections goes on, only the ones with a bit of brains learn not to get cut up too much.

It might be possible to train a small pack of dogs (2 or 3) to hunt boar but there would be some problems, you would need your dogs to bail your pigs and not hold them (it is when the dogs are holding a boar that you have to stick it with a knife and as Brad points out this would undoubtedly put you in conflict with some wildlife act.) If the boar is bailed then you should be able to call your dogs off once you get there, and then dispatch your pig with a rifle. I don’t know what the size of the land is that you have permission to hunt boar on, but you would need a good size, or your pigs would just run over your boundary and you would need to call your dogs off, which means you need to be close to them so being in excellent physical condition is a advantage, not a sport for porkies :lol: no pun intended.

My mate is talking about importing one of his pig dogs from N.Z. to use as a deer dog. If you are really were interested I am sure he could give you some advice to if it would be practical to hunt boar with dogs in your situation/the UK.

Thar

Back