What do you think about this?

Sprocket1

A new Vet set up in the area -so I went to look at the practice.
The Vets wife asked if I would use my dog as stud on her bitch and invited me to their house.
When I went into their garden, I noticed their dog had a slight limp but thought nothing of it.
By the time we left, My dog had a major limp and the vet had a quick look but couldn't see anything.
At that point he said he had just cut his hawthorn hedge and wondered if the dog had trod on a thorn.
Within in a few days a large swelling came up on my dogs foot and I took him to this Vet.
To cut a long story short, the vet opened him up twice, and found nothing.
The dog has been on antibiotics and anti inflamatories ever since.
This has been over 2 months and the infection remained.
He then tried some Laser treatment which had no effect.
The Vet wanted to operate for a 3rd time but I said no and took him elsewhere.
The New Vet suggested an MRI scan, found a thorn, and removed it.
The Hawthorn he removed was 1.7CM (3/4/inch) long.
As the dog isn't insured I spent £1500 with the first Vet. (And £1900 with second vet which I am not worried about)

My question is:- Do you think I can get any money back from the first vet? (Thorn was from his garden that he invited me to)
Is there an official body I can approach?
What would you do?

So you want to sue the vet for having a thorn in his garden.........?
I thought you were going down the route of being a dissatisfied customer due to unsuccessful operations, but seriously, how do you know for certain the thorn came from his garden, the dog could have had it before he got there but wasn't showing signs..... It's hardly negligent on their part to have been doing some gardening after all.......

if only we could go back to the good old days when there wasn't a no win no fee solicitor hiding round every corner.

Last edited:
Perhaps I came over wrong.
To me it seams highly coincidental that the dog wasn't limping until going into a garden that had just had the hawthorn hedge cut.
The fact that the vet told me he could have picked it up there seems logical?
My concern is that he had operated twice and did not find a huge thorn in a small area and wanted to cut him open for a third time without mentioning having an MRI scan - therefore he could have missed it again.
I am not a vet but from what I have been told, a third op would be very risky (due to scar tissue and infection) and the dog could end up with a permanent limp.
I am not a whinger and asked a few simple questions in hope that somebody could advise.
So - let's say I am a dissatisfied customer due to unsuccessful operations- Is there an official body I can approach?

HAve you got the serial number of the thorn? or the registration plate on the hedge, then you can sue.;)
Ha Ha - Keep them coming boys - Just looking for a sensible answer.
I know there are Real Dog people on here that may be able to advise.
The rest are welcome to keep the silly remarks coming.:D

thorns in the garden yee gods what next !

but if the vet did't find it and by his act failed to deliver the aid then charge you £xyz, also did he find the entry wound and what did he treat ?

2nd vet same ?

they are a service and should you feel that the service was poor sorry for the pun! go to trading standards or the www.rcvs.org.uk/complaints

and try to get 1st treatment cost back at least .

Last edited:
I guess that you wont be taking your dog back to cover their bitch ??
hi grumpyoldsod. I guess you're right.
I genuinely like your comment lol. ( I see you are from the South West as well). Can you imagine what responses we'll get now "North / South divide" That's racist". Watch this space.:D

thorns in the garden yee gods what next !

but if vet was did't find it and by his act failed to deliver the aid then charge you £xyz also did he find the entry wound and what did he treat ?
2nd vet same ?
they are a service and should you feel that the service was poor sorry for the pun! go to trading standards or the www.rcvs.org.uk/complaints

and try to get 1st treatment cost back at least .
paul o' Thank you for the sound advice. 2nd vet found thorn after MRI -he was excellent! I will take a look at rcvs.org. I am much obliged for your comment.

I feel for you vet's just screw everyone .thought the first vet could be more leeniant with the bill.And I hope you got a good stud fee

I would go to the first vet and explain he did not resolve the issue and you went elsewhere who did resolve it fir almost the same amount and ask him what he will do to remedy it. I wouldn't go through the complaints procedure before speaking to vet one. If vet one won't/doesnt resolve it to your satisfaction then let him know your next course of action which is a complaint to the above. It matters not where the thorn came from although I might have expected a slight discount.

To be honest I cant believe vet one charged when by his own admission of it could be a thorn due to him having just cut his hedge. However if vet two will write a letter explaining his findings then you present the letter to vet one surely common sense will prevail...
Regards
Jimmy

I feel for you vet's just screw everyone .thought the first vet could be more leeniant with the bill.And I hope you got a good stud fee
Hi slink dog.
Thanks for the comment, I hope Vet one will be more lenient when I go back to see him, After seeking advice from various members on here, I decided not to use him on the bitch based on the fact that he is still quite young (18mths). Ironic really -you try to do someone a favour and it backfires.:)

Back