Dumb Question - DSC1/2

Sidewinder

I am an American living here in London. I have hunted whitetail and elk a good part of my life and would like to do more over here aside from a few stalks with a guide. What is this DSC1/2 stuff? What does it help you to do?

The courses go for 100s of pounds, is it worth it? Does anyone have an old manual that I could purchase from them?

Thanks,

Glenn

The DSC1 will expand your knowledge on British deer and you will most probably learn new things about the process of getting a deer safely and hygeinically into the food chain as well depending on how in depth your knowledge currently is.

DSC2 will gives you the chance to demonstrate and prove that you have the knowledge and the practical experience to carry out the whole process to a good standard from start to finish.

Whether it is worthwhile to you depends on all sorts of things but at the very least you will have a sense of achievement from it?!

Thank you, Bandit Country. That is a good link.

By having DSC1/2, does it help you legally at all, like being able to stalk without a guide? Or is it just a badge of achievement that you know what you are doing?

Thanks again,

Glenn

There is no requirement in this country to hold any qualification to stalk alone. Many landowners and leases will only take people with level 1 and an increasing number want level 2. That doesn't mean vast amounts of stalking open up to you the moment you pass your level 2.

Do it if:

• You want to learn more about UK deer species
  • You may want to pass animals you have shot into the human food chain via a game dealer
  • You want to better yourself

Don't think there is any compulsion to do it, and I am unaware of any guides who give a damn whether you have level 1 or not for accompanied stalking.

Thank you. I am going to do it anyway out of curiosity and to learn more about deer and hunting in the UK.

-Z

Back