High Crops?

Tartan_Terrier

As the crops grow ever higher, I'm finding it more and more difficult to stalk quietly through the fields, or indeed see the deer that may (or may not :confused:) be there. I presume that I'm not alone in this respect....?

What do the rest of you do? Highseats? Wait for the harvest? Any ideas?

Regards
T_T

Highseats for me just now till crops are brought in if suitable. Some of my areas are not farming land and the hard wood forestry is a nightmare, the ferns are growing like there is no tomorrow and in a few weeks itll need to be giraffes im hunting lol and then theres the ticks who just seem to love the ferns which will be about head height shortly!!!!!

Same problem down here in Dorset!!
Even hi seats dont always solve the problem.
I adopt the strategy of walking around the margins and tramlines....deer are like us and often prefer the easy routes rather than creeping through wet soaking rape, barley and wheat....and of course they prefer to browse on the hedges and field margins.
Barring that its a change to rabbiting and with the start of the fishing season approaching I then tend to leave it til the rut at the end of July and then its Aug 1st !!!

Same problem down here in Dorset!!
Even hi seats dont always solve the problem.
I adopt the strategy of walking around the margins and tramlines....deer are like us and often prefer the easy routes rather than creeping through wet soaking rape, barley and wheat....and of course they prefer to browse on the hedges and field margins.
Barring that its a change to rabbiting and with the start of the fishing season approaching I then tend to leave it til the rut at the end of July and then its Aug 1st !!!

Are your rabbits bigger than your Roe Bucks????............:eek:

Thermal imager is usefull need a good set of sticks, i expect Tony's order book is full ( in process of aquiring a set of his sticks).

Agree roe don't like going through thick stuff but munties seem to adore OSR and thus impossible to shoot.

D

treat it like a forest
stalk the rides, tramlines, headlands and the bits you can move through and see into

then come back when its all cut!

2130Martin,

Its all a matter of scale.......a bunny at 100m with a .17 is like a prize roe buck with a .30 cal

And yep....we grow them conies big up 'ere! :D

It can be awkward... Keep an eye on tramlines, field margins etc and as someone else said, wait for the harvest and stubbles

Back