Skinning, gutting and quartering a cow

Cheers for that, I found it really interesting. Just goes to show what you can do without having all the bells and whistles, well apart from a tractor anyway!

Enjoyed that. Use some of the same techniques for skinning deer, not the tractor and Landcruiser though !

Enjoyed that. Use some of the same techniques for skinning deer, not the tractor and Landcruiser though !

I wouldnt
Thats the worst dressed beast iv ever seen. If I had done that when I was a boy I would have been sent packing....scott

Did anyone else's arse twitch when he was un-zipping the stomach cavity? He was cutting through to his fingers, rather than using the blade inside to cut away.

Never-the- less, just goes to show what can be done with a little knowledge and a few basic tools

I've often wondered how to get the skin of a Muntjac. Silly me, of course one end on my jeep and the other on the tele-lifter.

FN

Did anyone else's arse twitch when he was un-zipping the stomach cavity? He was cutting through to his fingers, rather than using the blade inside to cut away.

Never-the- less, just goes to show what can be done with a little knowledge and a few basic tools

Mine never stopped cringed all the way through.
Its poetry to watch a good butcher not wishing to derail the tread but take a look at this .

Most home killers have a small chainsaw dedicated only to split beasts and fill the chainsaw lube tank up with vegetable/olive oil etc. We cut them down on hanging first up rather than next day especially if its on either side of winter.

You are a bit tough on them Scotty haha.

As I'm very untrained in the art of cow skinning & gutting in the field , what did this guy do that was so wrong for field skinning & gutting a cow .

How should of this guy have done the cow in the field

I wonder if the cow watching in the background knew what was going on ?

All the cattle new what was going on you could hear them baying all through the video. It would have been quite distressing for them.

Regards kev

I wouldnt
Thats the worst dressed beast iv ever seen. If I had done that when I was a boy I would have been sent packing....scott

Agreed - quite a sloppy job with lots of room for things to go wrong. I have done a fair number of cattle, starting as a wee little helper, and eventually heading up the detail. If you have a tractor and bucket, the beast goes up as soon as it is dead. Then you can cut the throat if you wish. Not a bit of skin comes off until it is off the ground.

Then, I still don't understand the desire to split the entire carcass. The front quarters come off without touching a bone, and I prefer an intact loin (both blackstrap and tenderloin ) to a Tbone. The only time I need to split a bone is to get the ribs into manageable sections for the smoker.

As I'm very untrained in the art of cow skinning & gutting in the field , what did this guy do that was so wrong for field skinning & gutting a cow .

How should of this guy have done the cow in the field

Maybe been a bit hard on him just because its not how I would have done it,but the job in general is rough,there is enough flesh left on the hide to feed a family,the hide has more tracks scored on it than Euston station , a bit of pride in the job is lacking.Would guess he was trained by a famous german butcher named Haknslash..

Back