Kelly Kettle... Thoughts?

I. Farticus

UPDATE:
My Stainless 1.5L Base Camp and full kit has just been marked as Dispatched by Kelly Kettle...

Reduced price of £58.95 seems like a pretty good price as there's nothing more to buy!

Thanks all
iain

*************************************************************************************************************

I'm looking at investing in a Kelly Kettle, so just wanted some feedback - positive/negative...

Are they as good as they're cracked up to be, as I'm struggling to find reasons not to buy one?

Ta
iain

Last edited:
They must be good as you don't see them for sale second hand very much.
I have always fancied one but I am reluctant to spend out on one (too mean, I suppose!)

I've used them for many years.

Firstly, as what we called "the iggari" which was knocked together by REME from available scrap and latterly as a commercially bought Kelly.

To a device, they will surprise you by the speed at which they boil water and at the economy in fuel.

Bloody brilliant kit.

Got one. They are very good at what they are designed to do, boil water. You can get the kits for "cooking" on them but don't bother. They will boil water rapidly but you can buy a cheap stove and lots and lots of gas for what they cost and the stove will be lighter and more usable all year around. They are very therapeutic though!

I'm looking at investing in a Kelly Kettle, so just wanted some feedback - positive/negative...

Are they as good as they're cracked up to be, as I'm struggling to find reasons not to buy one?

Ta
iain

Very good, use mine during sea kayaking expeditions due to minimal weight and ease of transporting across borders (no need to carry fuel). Mine is pretty battered, but keeps going .

They boil water thats about it

They are bulky and messy to carry ie you cant put stuff in it to pack not even water in most as the lid isnt sealed you can stuff things in the chimney but its covered in soot/tar

they work well in the much larger (5-10 ltr) form as a camp Hot water boiler on all day

I use a home made Hobo set up based on a 12cm Zebra billy pretty much takes up no space as it all fits together and the Pot is packed with the brew kit stuff and i can cook in it even Bake Bagels or pizza ;)

all depends on what you want or Imagine you want to do with it

They boil water thats about it

They are bulky and messy to carry ie you cant put stuff in it to pack not even water in most as the lid isnt sealed you can stuff things in the chimney but its covered in soot/tar

they work well in the much larger (5-10 ltr) form as a camp Hot water boiler on all day

I use a home made Hobo set up based on a 12cm Zebra billy pretty much takes up no space as it all fits together and the Pot is packed with the brew kit stuff and i can cook in it even Bake Bagels or pizza ;)

all depends on what you want or Imagine you want to do with it

Stop trying to sneek in 'schrafting FGYT ;)

I have one. It's great if you have a good supply of bone dry kindling. Less good if you have to forage for sticks in the woods.

I got a Jetboil ~18 months ago and haven't used the Kelly Kettle since!

I've got one and like it. Like many things it does a job that can be done in any of several ways.

Its SD, so naturally any minute now there's going to be a fight over whose specific set up boils 10,000 gallons fastest etc :D

Key for me, is stopping for a hot drink is an excuse to take a break. Its the act of making the drink that is almost as important as the drink itself - else just get a really good flask. The Kelly makes a grand 'job' of the whole process. Clients love it. I think of it as a 'kit kat' moment.

I've a relationship with and got mine from - Bushcraft, outdoor survival gear and jack links beef jerky by World of Survival UK

I love mine, wouldn't be without it. Lives in my boat. I always keep a few sunny jims wrapped in cling film to get it going.

I wouldn't carry one back packing or stalking, but it is a great job for the back of the car or in the boat.

spend some money and get one bought ! and get the larger one , you will not be dissapointed , mine lives in my hilux and gets some good use ,i keep it in a small box with lighter , news paper and a bit of kindlin , and some satches of white coffee and hot chocolate , you will not regret it !

I've got one and like it. Like many things it does a job that can be done in any of several ways.

Its SD, so naturally any minute now there's going to be a fight over whose specific set up boils 10,000 gallons fastest etc :D

Key for me, is stopping for a hot drink is an excuse to take a break. Its the act of making the drink that is almost as important as the drink itself - else just get a really good flask. The Kelly makes a grand 'job' of the whole process. Clients love it. I think of it as a 'kit kat' moment.

I've a relationship with and got mine from - Bushcraft, outdoor survival gear and jack links beef jerky by World of Survival UK

Totally agree.

I've recently consciously left my outdoor cooking setup at home as notwithstanding the cholesterol content of my preferred in-the-field dining I was finding it something to be looked forward to a little too much and in consequence stalks were getting shorter and shorter!

Nothing quite like the curl of kettle steam rising through the canopy of a Autumn wood along with the lingering scent of caramelising bacon.

K

I gave mine to Weeman( I think?) I could never find dry kindling when needed, and had to carry water etc as well,
I used either a flask or a £10 gas burner,

its a bit of kit that i would'nt be without..just something about a brew done by fire whilst out and about, in fact ive just ordered a new one to replace an eco trekker that leaks ..still boils water in few minutes though. sb

Ian

I think it depends whether you want one because it's fun kit to play with or because you want hot water quickly! If it's the latter, buy a jetboil - shorter boil time, clean, cheap, easier to carry (by far!) etc etc.

If you want to be a 'backwoodsman', buy a kelly kettle.

I have a jetboil you are welcome to borrow to see how you get on with it for a bit if you wish.

Tom

Thanks all - Generally positive feedback.

The plan is to use it when camping with my boys, so it will be "the experience" as much as anything else. Other than that, it will be used by myself when out overnight and will be in the car until used close by, so weight isn't an issue.

Tom - Thanks for the kind offer, however I want to stay away from needing anything more than matches & kindling

The Kelly Kettle website has the full kit with "cosmetic defects" at under £60, so I'll grab a stainless 1.5L Base Camp

Thanks again
iain

Ian

I think it depends whether you want one because it's fun kit to play with or because you want hot water quickly! If it's the latter, buy a jetboil - shorter boil time, clean, cheap, easier to carry (by far!) etc etc.

If you want to be a 'backwoodsman', buy a kelly kettle.

I have a jetboil you are welcome to borrow to see how you get on with it for a bit if you wish.

Tom

Point agreed as such is all but mandatory if you expect to have any credibility as a 21st Century bushcraft warrior along with:

a. Bison Bushcraft Guide Shirt

b. Swedish Fire Steel
c. Opinel #7 Knife
d. Gränsfors Small Forest Axe
e. Dutch Oven
f. Tentipi Tent
g. Berry Picker
h. Rogue Desert Boots
i. Dougster Leather Belt
j. Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
k. Sandalwood Soap or Pine Tar Shower Gel
l. Tilley Hat
m. Frost River Grand Portage Canoe Back Pack

n. Series III Land-Rover of suitably used but esteemed appearance.

K

Kelly Kettle, the finest steam engine built since [FONT=arial, sans-serif]"[/FONT]Stephenson's Rocket"
Buy the bigger model as it's easier to keep it burning, and boils much faster than the small one.

Neil. :)

Back