Thread: Amazing brown trout feeding video

Amazing brown trout feeding video

Here is an amazing video of some NZ brown trout feeding - just saw and and had to share it. Hope you enjoy it!

Amazing footage, thanks for sharing!

Now what fly would you use? And, more to the point, how do you cast it to imitate those??

Wow, fantastic watching

I remember a TV program years ago where some guys in Ireland were making mayfly imitations. They spread a thin film of copydex type glue on a piece of glass then held it near the paraffin lamp in the bothy. The film dried,was peeled off and rolled a bit then tied into a fly. The end result was bloody good. They tied some with bigger 'wings' and used them for dapping.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

It's funny, people who don't fly fish often think that this is how it is done - waving a fly in the air above the water and the trout jump up and take them. I don't think I've ever actually seen trout taking stuff "on the wing". The trout definitely crash and splash about when feeding on ciccadas in summer but it's still just surface feeding. Makes for exciting fishing though!

I have once met someone who claimed to have caught a fish on the back cast when wading - ie. tried to convince me that the fish leapt out of the stream to take it in the air.

I suspect he must have touched the surface, even if only for a second.

Brilliant footage but to be honest those flies are hovering only an inch or two above the surface in an almost static position, which allows the trout to track the from below until eventually taking one.

I can't believe for a moment Mungo that a trout would be able to take a fly on the back cast unless it came to actually rest momentarily, given the speed a fly travels at when on the end of a line, but I wasn't there so.....

I've had trout take a bob fly being held just out of the water a few inches in front of the boat at the end of the retrieve and also had a fly taken above the surface when dapping. I don't think that's too uncommon to be honest among guys that dap regularly.....

Great to see them feeding like that on film though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Now what fly would you use? And, more to the point, how do you cast it to imitate those??
    one of these and 2/0 hook!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I have once met someone who claimed to have caught a fish on the back cast
    I have actually seen this many years ago.

A guy was fishing a lake that backed onto a stock pond and I was waiting for him to finish his cast before walking past. On his third or fourth false cast, a fish in the stock pond hit his fly and was hooked perfectly in the scissors. I don't know whether this particular back cast actually touched the water or not, but a couple of his previous casts certainly had.