Thread: RCBS vs Hornady

RCBS vs Hornady

I've had a look at the old post's but cant find the answer, so apologies if this has been answered.

I'm looking to start handloading some .243 and am looking at reloading kits: the RCBS's rock chucker kit or the Hornady Lock n load kit, both kits are around 400.00. Can i have some opinion's on which would be best?

Thank you in advance for your help and constructive criticism!

All the Hornady dies I have purchased over the last few years have been defective: 220 Swift, 243, 9.3x57. All had defects that caused me to either order replacement parts and/or quit using them. Based on that alone, I would choose RCBS... tho the last few die sets of theirs I've purchased -tho functional in every way- lacked a degree of exterior finish I'd become used to.

Why the 'Lock and Load' feature, may I ask? And how many different cartridges will you be loading on that press? A friend and I had a discussion about this the other night and I'm curious as to your reasoning. ~Muir

No reason it"s just the kit, the lock n load feature is not needed only have the .243 at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallascorban View Post
    No reason it"s just the kit, the lock n load feature is not needed only have the .243 at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
    Gottcha. It seems that a person needs to look hard to find a press that doesn't have that feature these days. I was looking at Lee's current beast press, the Classic. A heavy iron unit that would eventually tale the place of my old RCBS A2 (should I live long enough to wear it out) and I had to go to the factory to find one that wasn't Lock-n-Load.

I am not big on the lock and load feature but my friend argued that it might produce better ammunition than a standard press -especially if there is a little give laterally in the locking insert. He based this on Forster's Co-Axial press where the die floats and self aligns with the case as it enters the die. I have one of these Co-Axial presses and it does produce fine ammunition so maybe he has a valid point? I don't know. Worth thinking about though.~Muir

PS: As a foot note emphasis to my first post, I consider Hornady dies to be total junk. I have racks of reloading dies, and only those three turkeys mentioned above are Hornady. I avoid them like the plague.

Only seeing problems with Hornady dies at the Mo'... All my RCBS stuff has never given any cause for concern.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks it does seem like a bit of one horse race, which makes it nice and simple. Thanks