How to tell when you've finally reached component overload.

Muir

I went to the city with a buddy to pick up his new quad today and we stopped at one of my favorite sporting goods stores. They had...

Sierra .224 x 75 (?) grain Match, 500 ct, $104.
Hornady .224x 53 grain BHPT Match, $17/100
Hornady .224 x 55 grain Varmint SP, $16/100
Sierra 6mm Game Pro 100 grn, $17/100
Sierra 6.5mm, 140 grain Game King, $21/100
Hornady 7mm Interlock 129 grn, $20/100

...and I didn't buy a thing. Sheesh! ~Muir

Overoad , underload , schmoload it's all relative to the persons mindset at the time things are there for them to purchase .

And my own mindset is this , with the present state of affairs in the USA as far as components and ammunition are concerned . I suggest a person lays in two times the amount they think they would need for say 5-10 years .

If I were flush enough I'd have atleast 32 pounds of EVERY rifle powder I use and about 80 pounds of the shotgun powder I use (but then my shotgun powder will supposedly no longer be available by the end of this year).

As to rifle bullets I'd have no problem with laying in 2,000 or so of each of the bullets I use a great deal and about 700-1000 of those I use less frequently .

Primers I think I would go as much as 50,000 209's , 40,000 CCI200's and perhaps 30,000 215's .

The bottom line is this , I trust the American governement NOT AT ALL !

And with the greatest of respect sir that is exactly the mindset that has led to the uk shortage/sporadic supply of anything USA made for the firearms industry here in Great Britain.
Regards
Jimmy

Jimmy: Nonsense.
As I have posted elsewhere. Do you think that any powder or bullet or primer I buy off of my store's shelves was EVER destined to go to the UK? Not likely.

The truth is that makers have severely cut back production for civilian markets and the UK, as a whole, is a tiny market compared to the US. US dealers have had powders and primers and bullets on back order for two years. Do you think distributors are going to divert their meager rations to the UK instead of supplying their American dealers/customers?? Again. not likely. Two years ago I posted a warning on this site saying that shortages were coming. Some of the members scoffed saying that their stockists had plenty. No problems! Well. You can't say you weren't' warned -several times. Some shooters like myself have goodly quantities of components because we have ALWAYS kept those quantities on hand. If I set out to buy the components I already have today I would be in very tough shape. There is little to be had. No Varget in the UK?? None here either!! No H4350?? Darned little here, too!! H-4895? None to be had!! We see sporadic bits here and there. Which is why I sometimes drive 130 miles to buy components when I hear a store has some in.

You guys need to get of this "Americans are hoarding so we can't get components!" jag. We can't hoard what we can't buy. Stores have been rationing powder and bullets for two years. We can't even get 22LR ammo: There isn't any. You guys are at the end of the supply train and as i said, these shortages have been heading your way for two years, and now they are hitting you squarely. That sucks but it can't be helped. Supplies are short and you are a small market, far away from the producer.

But take heart. Things seem to be loosening up a little, which was the point of my post.~Muir

Overoad , underload , schmoload it's all relative to the persons mindset at the time things are there for them to purchase .

And my own mindset is this , with the present state of affairs in the USA as far as components and ammunition are concerned . I suggest a person lays in two times the amount they think they would need for say 5-10 years .

If I were flush enough I'd have atleast 32 pounds of EVERY rifle powder I use and about 80 pounds of the shotgun powder I use (but then my shotgun powder will supposedly no longer be available by the end of this year).

As to rifle bullets I'd have no problem with laying in 2,000 or so of each of the bullets I use a great deal and about 700-1000 of those I use less frequently .

Primers I think I would go as much as 50,000 209's , 40,000 CCI200's and perhaps 30,000 215's .

The bottom line is this , I trust the American governement NOT AT ALL ![/QUOTE as jack sparrow said in the pirates of the caribean, you cant trust honest people but you can rely on dishonest people to be dishonest, well something like that :D

I have to agree with 6pt and Muir, even here in the UK we'd been well aware of the shortages for long enough to have made similar arrangements (allowing for the UK restrictions of course). I made sure I bought enough powder, primers and bullets to continue reloading for my target shooting for about the next three years, would have been longer but the UK has a 15Kg limit on storing smokeless powders without a license.

The amount of reloading supplies bought by the UK is an almost insignificant fraction of the US market and supplying the UK is certainly not a priority for the US manufacturers. No matter how much our fellow shooters across the pond buy the UK market will never be a priority as far as supply is concerned.

Well we used to produce our own but successive governments have seen to it that was shut down.

Indeed :(

For powders we have a fair choice of other suppliers, Viht, Reload Swiss, TR140 & Elcho17 (Swiss) and Ramshot to name a few. For primers there's S&B, Fiocchi & Gynex.

Look to Europe for supplies, I had no problem getting 2,000 Nosler CC 168gr and they were a lot cheaper shipped to my door from Germany than any of the UK suppliers prices.

+1

iam in the process of moving away from any/all yank components lets face it its not going to be sorted in the next 12 months , So lets try to build on what we can get and not a wish list from the USA, then maybe just maybe the shortages may fizzle out i have moved to Sellier & Bellot large primers and vit powders and i can't see/ feel or even getting any loss in poi or fps. all good and at a cheaper cost ? win win:stir:

For powders we have a fair choice of other suppliers, Viht, Reload Swiss, TR140 & Elcho17 (Swiss) and Ramshot to name a few. For primers there's S&B, Fiocchi & Gynex.

Look to Europe for supplies, I had no problem getting 2,000 Nosler CC 168gr and they were a lot cheaper shipped to my door from Germany than any of the UK suppliers prices.

Phaedra,
Do you have any recommended German suppliers?
Iain

+1

iam in the process of moving away from any/all yank components lets face it its not going to be sorted in the next 12 months , So lets try to build on what we can get and not a wish list from the USA, then maybe just maybe the shortages may fizzle out i have moved to Sellier & Bellot large primers and vit powders and i can't see/ feel or even getting any loss in poi or fps. all good and at a cheaper cost ? win win:stir:

This is probably the way forward, have been using American everything up until now, not much left, will be looking for European alternatives shortly, makes sense really in these islands we probably should be sourcing from Europe in any case rather than from the USA after all we are supposed to be part of the European Union.

The truth is that makers have severely cut back production for civilian markets and the UK, as a whole, is a tiny market compared to the US. US dealers have had powders and primers and bullets on back order for two years.

~Muir

American manufacturers usually have a positive attitude to keeping their markets supplied, irrespective of whether it is within the USA or abroad, aside from any hoarding issues why is there this shortage?

atb Tim

That's why I tend to bulk buy what I want from the USA not what the RFD has left and is trying to shift.
That reminds me I'm down to my last 1500 for the. 20 cal

If IIRC this shortage was brought about by the department for home defence putting a massive order in for ammunition,thus panicking the American market to bulk buy the shelves bare.
Whilst stalking in Scotland last year there was an American couple over staying at the same B&B they had 17000 rnds of different calibre's stock piled at home.

And with the greatest of respect sir that is exactly the mindset that has led to the uk shortage/sporadic supply of anything USA made for the firearms industry here in Great Britain.
Regards
Jimmy

I undertsand what you're saying and that may very well be true . However you have to also see it from my point of view . If I see it and can get it right now I better do so because tommorrow (figuratively speaking) that option may not be there .

Now with all that being said I've always kept components in amounts to get me through several years . Now it just seems a little more natural to do so .

I didn't expect that kind of response! Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of a tax audit! ;) ~Muir

Nope woke up the same as always !

To be totally honest I wouldn't be that much into it if I weren't able to buy from wholesalers and actually hear what they say the manufacturers are supposedly telling them .

Hopefully supplies will improve throughout the coming months, we're coming over at the end of the year (health allowing) for what will probably be a final time to spend some time with our friends on the Gulf Coast.

No doubt I'll be doing a lot of online shopping at Brownell/Sinclairs, MidwayUSA etc. etc. before we come over :D

Back