preparation for a trip to africa

artschool

My trip to South Africa African Hunt Competition - Hunt Africa For Free is rapidly approaching i have been starting to get preparation in order and had my vaccinations yesterday for Hepatitis A, diphtheria,tetanus and polio. I also got my malaria prescription.

so feeling a bit groggy today!

would appreciate any other advice about other things to get in order from others who have been over there:oops:

- Take a lots of pictures, i thought i had taken plenty when i was out there but wish now that i had taken more.

- Take more ammo than you will need.

- Pack your bag and then take half of it out. You will be surprised at how little clothing you will need to take.

- Extra copies of all your forms and letters of invitation from the outfitter.

Enjoy the trip, i can't wait to go back and i look forward to your write up.

Tom

i think you can take 200 rounds per rifle. should i bring the full 200? i am only intending on bringing my 308.

Be aware of ticks as well, some areas can be bad. I always wear long light weight trousers, and in some badly infested areas such as parts of Zululand I also wore thin gaiters and sprayed them with Deet.

That stopped em!!

Other than that enjoy yourself, Africa will grab you by the heart that's for sure.

Artschool,
Take a look at: Shakari Connection | African Hunting Information for all the info you may ever need and more.

Personal tips:
Buy Permethrin pump sprays and do all of your clothing(a bit pricey, but worth it). Permethrin is designed to last for several washings(up to 6 IIRC) and will easily last for your trip.
Take some oily base DEET preparation for use on your skin. The water based ones don't last long when you're sweating and have to be reapplied every 2-4 hours. The oil based ones I have found to last all day. I used Boots Repel Insect Repellent lotion for all four safaris. You don't need anything more than a 50% DEET content.
Peter

Just back from Namibia, 4shirts and two pairs of trousers were hung back up clean as a daisy. So yes don't bring a lot of clothes.Consumed 36 rounds in 7 days. Bring a sweater it is cold at night and in the morning.

As advised already lotsa pictures!

i think you can take 200 rounds per rifle. should i bring the full 200? i am only intending on bringing my 308.

What animals are you shooting and how many?

You will use some checking zero when you get there, plus your animals, you may also knock your rifle and have to re zero. This can be easily done going through thick bush. You don't want to be out there, knock your rifle and by the time you have re zero'd you don't have any ammo left to shoot your animals.

I think 200 is a bit excessive. I think i took 60 and shot them all. However i entered a shooting competition while i was out there, did some long range target plinking and went after vermin, etc.

As for the ticks - some good advise has been given. I did not take any repellant with me, i just gave myself a good once over each evening and morning to be sure. However, next time i will take some as its not worth the risk.

Also, don't be afraid to tell you PH what you want from your trip. He is there to make sure you are safe and find all your animals, but also to ensure you have a good time. When i went our PH was brilliant, he would ask if everything was as expected and if there was anything they could do for us. He would invite other PH's round in the evenings and we would all get around the camp fire with beers in hand swapping stories and having a laugh.

Do some research on the animals you are hunting - shot placement, expected shot distance, terrain they will be hunting in, research suitable ammo for the quarry.

Practice shooting off sticks before you go, but also shooting reasonably quickly off sticks. They won't always hang around for a shot or you may have to take one as the animal moves between cover.

Your PH will look after you and ensure you have a great trip.

Having fun is the most important thing and i have no doubt you will.

Tom

Malarone. least side effects apparently.
Malarone is ok but you may still feel a bit iffy. If you feel weird then it's probably that. Just be aware that extreme cases have suffered hallucinations etc etc. if you feel bad then hand over the rifle lol. Seriously though, good choice.

The most important thing is to have multiple copies of all your paperwork. They always say that the photocopier is not working and to could end up being ages in the firearms section. With the paperwork all done its a breeze. Be prepared. Take fags for the trackers. Marlboro preferably. Small bills. If you are in rural Africa big bills are no good. Rand for the tips. Trackers, cooks, cleaners are not going to manage to change dollars anywhere easily. Any questions, pm me.
Have fun.

I suppose you could add cigarette papers to your packing. Seeing the lads rolling newspaper was a bit weird.

I would add to practicing shooting off the sticks. Three sticks is pretty stable,two not so especially when you have had a long stalk.

Do learn your shot placement. African animals are strong,very strong. I had to follow up my Oryx in the bush and it was exciting. Especially when the tracker advised me that Oryx like to make kebabs out of people.

in fact all that info from shotgun tom is very relevant. Try and find some strongly constructed bullets. Barnes,Swift,Woodleigh is what the PH,s like to see used.

Malarone is good. I used it for two weeks or so whilst in Nigeria. However do also be aware that if you get diahorrea from "iffy" food that you'll pass those little pink tablets out through your system. Asda also sell malarone tablets, or did, at their in-store pharmacies.

had no noticeable side effects either I am pleased to say although you will may get a splitting headache when you stop taking them when you get back. So have some paracetamol handy!

I'd also ask your doctor for a prescription for antibiotics to take with you in case you need them. Mine certainly was OK to give me a scrip as, having a penicillin allergy, it may be difficult to get the correct antibiotics is away from trusted sources of supply.

Last edited:
question about the airport.

i have the following:
letter of motivation.
letter of invitation from outfitter.
completed the saps form 520 (but not signed)
copy of airline ticket
copy of firearms licence

i have 2 questions.

they are requesting a notarised copy of my passport, do i need a solicitor to do this?

they also ask for a proof of export? my FAO said that i didn't need one.

Artschool, I believe the notarised passport is really for folks from the USA. I have got one for the last few trips but never needed it. All I did was go to the local post office where the lady checked my passport and then stamped the copy with the p.o. stamp and signed it. I don't know why I did this but must have been told in the dark past that that would do. We did go through the export palaver as well for a while but haven't for some time now. Take multiple copies of things not just the one set and take a blank set of the 520 in case you have not filled anything in correctly. Nothing in the firearms office at Oliver Tambo ever seems to work so be prepared. Take a black ink pen too. Be cool - you are out there to have fun. Lap it up. Oh yes, take some warm clothes, it can be bloody cold in the morning and sitting outdoors at the braai at night. Enjoy.

question about the airport.

i have the following:
letter of motivation.
letter of invitation from outfitter.
completed the saps form 520 (but not signed)
copy of airline ticket
copy of firearms licence

i have 2 questions.

they are requesting a notarised copy of my passport, do i need a solicitor to do this?

they also ask for a proof of export? my FAO said that i didn't need one.

I can assure you that a black and white photo copy of your passport is sufficient. (colour copies confuse with the original). Your UK FAC is good for proof of export.

Do not worry, it really is an easy exercise when you get into the SAPS office.

Just hand them all the photocopies, sign the SAPS form on the two places in front of the constable and all is done.

Stan

(12 trips down there in 8 years)

Keep your rifle bolt with your rifle when you go and mark your ammo box clearly so that you can see it from a distance. When I came back from SA in June my ammo box was swapped with somebody else's with my name on the tag, his ammo box had ammo and a rifle bolt. I got my ammo box back 3 days later. When I went boar shooting 2 years age in Croatia 1 lad put his rifle bolt in his case with his ammo, the case arrived the next day, but as there was ammo in the case they would not send to the shoot, he had to use somebody else's gun for the 3 days.

Back