Thread: Sparrowhawk kill

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Sparrowhawk kill

Just coming into home today and was presented with this. She'd obviously just jumped it as it took a good few minutes before she flew off.
    And a photoAttachment 43770
    Last edited by teyhan1; 25-06-2014 at 18:26.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

nature sure is cruel , good for the lad to learn about circle of life and death , one thing has to die to feed another , which we all no makes for a diverse range of wildlife , good life leason for him !

Sparrowhawks are an amazing hunter, I have not seen any bird fly so fast!

Nice! I found a similar scene on my neighbour's driveway a few years back...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sparrowhawk-001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	43793

Sparrow hawks more often than not will pluck the captive alive. They will have a favourite branch a bit like a thrushes snail stone where they will take the victim. I could never work out why they don't kill off the bird they have caught as they are more than capable of doing so. Most predators kill the prey to stop it getting away.

I picked up a Redleg partridge once which a sparrowhawk had caught, it was still alive and one full breast steak had been eaten away. A Sparrowhawk also killed the hen of a pair of grey partridge (one of a handful on the shoot) which were keeping a close eye on a magpie in a Larsen trap, no doubt she was nesting close by and I saw them most days then one morning just a mat of feathers. Oh and they killed every single radio tagged hen grey partridge in a GWCT study north of the border.

One of the few birds I actively dislike.

Twice I've had a sparrowhawk kill just under my kitchen window. The first was a starling which it was grasping on the back. As quick as a flash it spun the starling round and started to kill it by plucking and eating. the breast. The starling screamed for a short while and then it became the meal. The sparrowhawk carried it on to my whirly clothes line and deftly removed the brain and then the head. It flew off with the remains. The second one was a robin, dealt with in a similar manner. I thought it was a great privilege to watch a top predator at such close range. With bird feeding tables in many gardens it must seem like the Ritz.

Hunted an imprint female spar for a couple of seasons bushing for blackbirds and maggies super fun and super adrenalin fuelled .the imprints were far easier to manage as the weight wasn't as critical ! Whilst a parent reared bird generally had very small tollerences .seeing your picys brings back great memories thanks for sharing .