Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking a gun on a train

Taking a gun on a train

I've done a search on here and the info I found is around 2012, I'm just just wondering if anyone has up to date info on the legality of taking a gun on a train.
    I'd be looking to take a gun into Edinburgh on a local train and back again.

ps.. no it's not a bank's a trade in.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I think you would need to clarify that with your feo and transport operator as they may have a policy on it, there was a flap a while back about this but I can't remember the specifics. If you are ok to do so I imagine it would be advisable to transport the gun in a locked case, bolt out etc

Sorry, meant to say, it'd be a shotgun in a slip. I haven't got a hard case that would take it unfortunately.
    What with Edinburgh Waverley being a mainline station I'm being a bit caautious.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

As a rifle toting mustulid of London's Underground Pine Marten’s your man.

I looked into this once, the train operator told me it isn't a problem, all i had to do was inform a member of staff at the station when i arrived and take normal precautions.
    What i didn't bargain on was the hassle when i asked about total luggage i could take, large suitcase, carry on bag and rifle case, they started to tell me i had to pay more, just like a flight!
    So i hired a car!
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

I've done it before with a shotgun. Didn't inform anyone, never felt the need.

Broke it down into the three bits, and put it in a normal rucksack along with my clothes for the weekend...

I asked an RFD once what the legailities were of walking to his shop with a shotgun over my shoulder in its slip through the public streets. His responce was, as long as you have good reason to be there (trade in, fitting etc etc at the shop you're walking to) and you had you SGC if stopped by the police then threr were no issues. I don't see if there is any legal difference to walking on the streets or being inside a train. Whether the train company has a "policy" on it or not is a different matter...I gues sits up to you to check with them.

I've never had any trouble travelling on public transport with a gun in slip (or in rucksack, broken down), but admittedly not done it for years.
    Never had any trouble walking through town with gun either, having parked quite far from RFD premises, although last week some wag wound down his car window as he passed and asked if I was going to rob a bank...

broken down in a ruck sack seems genius, who'd know... gunslips sort of say gun really lol

Some of the train companies certainly have 'policies' relating to carrying firearms on trains. But legally as long as it is covered and you already have good reason then there shouldn't be a problem. A rucksack or large bag of some sort certainly sounds like your best option at the moment on the grounds of discretion and having a quiet life

1968 FA Act states:
    Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
    a loaded shot gun,

an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

an imitation firearm.]

As long as you can prove you are legitimately carrying the gun then no offence is committed.