Cars- i know completely off stalking....

Tommo

Gents,

This is a thread about using cars for work etc. So if this doesn't interest you - little point in reading on!

So, my scenario is that i own my own car for work 320d 2004 BMW. My benefits are that l get £350 after tax every month (car allowance) and l get 25p per mile (well worth running your own car l hear you say!?)

So l bought the BMW a year ago with 77k on the clock with the intention of keeping it for only 18months-2years as l do 35-40K a year. Recently it has started to develop problems MAF/Turbo (APPARENTLY REALLY COMMON WITH 3 SERIES BMW'S!!!!!!)

So i'm not happy and whilst nothing seriously has happened yet, and l have a good mate who's a BMW technician (they dont have mechanic's anymore???) who's looking after it for me - i'm now looking for something else.

So this is what this thread is for - what are my options in terms of cars and what are peoples opinions on them. remembering that l do 40K a year and can service them myself (but thats about it!!) Please do not suggest anything French as l spitz on em..

Seriously though what car is reliable enought to do 40K a year and be in one bit at the next MOT and doesn't loose to much value (i'm looking at the 6-7K mark)

Tom

Not really advice on cars, but what i would say is that the tax man allows you 40p a mile on cars, so look into claiming the other 15p per mile in relief.

Tho were I to talk about a big mile eater, comfortable and reliable, I would look at a Volvo, used the S70 for years while I was driving the country, never let me down once.

BMW diesel turbos can break up and cause severe engine damage (c£3k) bill. Usually good for 125k though. £1.5k to replace if do before rotor actually breaks up. May also need new dampers around 110-120k (as any car would).

Other than that it is a great car, economical and should be good for over 200k with no significant issues. If you run it to 200-240k the reduced depreciation will more than justify the cost of turbo and damper renewal.

Key is having a BMW technican to service who isen't carging you dealer rates!

My mate who travels up and down the country uses a VW Passat estate. 53 plate and has done over 213,000 miles. Has a 1.9tdi engine and returns approx 45mpg.

He loves it and has spent next to no money on it.

If you want a very reliable motor that has been well put together and not ugly and not french

BUY HONDA !!!

Brianm

I did 325,000 miles in my pre-GM Saab 900 until I killed it in 2' water :cry: It never missed a beat but towards the end, the woeful fuel consumption was an issue as petrol prices went up and up. Volvo's are good too - my parents have driven them for the last 40 years with no problems other than a teenage me denting a couple of them. They even look decent these days - a million miles for the 'boxy but safe' designs.

A mechanic mate says there's only one car to drive if you want total reliability and that's a Honda (although they've just recalled rather a lot of them today :rolleyes: ).

Adam.

For a very reliable, economic work car, something like a fresh SH Merc C220/250/270 is the ticket, easy on fuel and very reliable.

Alternatives (despite recent press) are the Toyota Avensis or a VW Passat.

The problem with all modern cars is maintenance. The average mechanic just cannot work on new cars anymore. The first tool any mechanic needs now is a laptop with the appropriate diagnostic software. You need a "technican" from a main dealer who does "homers".

Get an AUDI always regret getting rid of mine, far nice that a BMW not much in the price difference either, but I'd have an AUDI over a BMW anyday.

Hi,

I drive/commute 37+k a year! Previous car was a rover 218 diesel with peugot engine, did 250k miles in it before I sold it, v reliable and did 45+ mpg. Cheap and easy to run.

Post divorce needed a MPV so settled on a 04 plate Zafira 2 DTI. Excellent piece of kit, currently doing 10 miles/litre, new front tyres at 20k miles. Chain drive cam so no need to change cam belts. I do oil changes, ment to be every 20k, but do sooner and runs on fully synthetic oil which I buy at 25litres at time, £70 delivered. Oil filter easy to change.

Have done 60k miles so far and needed turbo boost pressure sensor replaced. Nice to drive, good vis, comfortable and quicker than I need.

Huge internal load carryig capability, but mine has roof bars and tow hitch. However v low groud clearance so have to use 4x4 for shooting forays.

However if I did not have to transport 5 kids, I would sriously consider Toyota 4d4 Avensis or one of the new Hyundis with the 5 yr 100k warranty, new diesel appears v good and extremely economical.

D

Skoda ..lol only a rebadged VW now, :lol: that's why they are ok go with a Jap or German car.
Not sure about Ford or GM now they were always a reps car.

I bought my Nissan from the auctions with a little dint on the door, book price was £7,800 I paid £3,500 and remember there is an imdemnity charge I paid that and taxed it for £3,800 all in.
Had it 5 years run it into the ground bought oil and filter, brake pads and discs plus a couple of silly bits cost less than twenty quid at MOT time.

I don't quite do the mileage you do but can't fault the motor in any way.

Plus 1 for the Skoda - same as the Audi A4 / VW without the badge or the expenisve price, but do come free with **** take from the likes of LegalEagle.

Have just done 100,000 miles in 4 years in mine - 20,000 mile servicing, couple of sets of brake pads and wipers, but other than that really good service - does 50mpg all day long, 45 mpg if fully loaded up with canoe, bikes etc on roof rack and driving hard up the A9. And with a 140 bhp TDI engine goes like a train if I need it.

Will probably change in a year or two and if so will probably get the Octavia Scout so have a bit of offroad ability.

And the dealer has been brilliant

Downsides - should have got leather seats and probably a bit short of rear legroom if you have tall drivers

Cars

I have a ford Ranger for running about in & an old Daihatsu Fortrack Commercial for shooting, it kind of goes most places & has not had a penny spent on it in years.

In the days when I did not need a 4x4 so much I had an Alfa GT 3.2, she was a but juicy though & the misses made me get rid of her as the glove box was always full of secretaries knickers! :lol:

Regs Lee

audi s3
honda civic cdti 2.2 deisel
vw golf st-tdi
all a bit small on the small size but all good cars as also mentioned i do like the look of the skoda octavia the do a sporty vrs which if you can get past the stigma surrounding the badge they are very good cars i thinlk there now made by vw

Gents - to update,

I've taken the car this evening to my mate (BMW technician) who had one of those nice 'Snap-on' handheld computers with lots of nice dials and buttons. It has read 3 faults stored, two are to do with the turbo and one MAF. They wiped the lot and re-set the MAF (Standard procedure) and have noted the two turbo fault codes to check up on when back in the garage tomorrow.

They mentioned that the car is in tip-top condition (engine wise) and according to the 'machine' is as smooth as a babys bum(when warm and running). So l'm just now waiting for the call tomorrow letting me know what the codes actually mean.

Back to the thread - i've read everything through and l think if the news is bad, then l'll change it, if l want something cheaper i'll be looking for a Passatt, Octavia or an Avensis. For more luxury a Merc, Audi or Honda.

I have to say though that i'm mightily ****ed off at the BMW being so weak. My mate did say to stay away from Vaux as they are fine to 120-140K then go bang (he used to work on them for a main dealer-fleet side) He does own a 330ci BMW which he says has had loads of problems and has had loads of work done on it....so Petrol is not the way to go either!!!!

Tom

Back