Deet

finnbear270

I was forgetting the damage DEET can do to stuff, I raised the Iphone to my ear a couple of weeks back, after applying DEET to my skin during a pretty big hatch of mozzies / farm midges, on looking at the screen to finish the call, I noticed the plastic screen protector had gone opaque big time, no amount of wiping had any effect, this is a top quality film with a guarantee on it against scratching, so I was pretty p888ed off, been cleaning the Fireball this morning & don't know why, but gave the plastic film a good rub, with a clean cotton rag soaked in Methylated spirit, hey presto!!! sorted!:cool:.

I was forgetting the damage DEET can do to stuff, I raised the Iphone to my ear a couple of weeks back, after applying DEET to my skin during a pretty big hatch of mozzies / farm midges, on looking at the screen to finish the call, I noticed the plastic screen protector had gone opaque big time, no amount of wiping had any effect, this is a top quality film with a guarantee on it against scratching, so I was pretty p888ed off, been cleaning the Fireball this morning & don't know why, but gave the plastic film a good rub, with a clean cotton rag soaked in Methylated spirit, hey presto!!! sorted!:cool:.

If it does that to plastic, should you really be applying it to skin :scared: seriously though and have used it myself I do wonder how safe some of those applications are for us long term.

It strips varnish off a gun in no time if you get the good stuff, 100% , when we squirrel camp in Illinois everything tastes of feet after a couple of days! it's the new channel No5

It's the cheapest way to having a full face peel. My wife thought I looked 10 years younger after 4 days of using 100% Deet.
It melted the back of my Swatch watch which was rather worrying. It's evil stuff and caused a lot a cancer in Vietnam I have been told by people in the know.

Smidge that midge is a better option I find, doesn't melt your cheek pad on your stock like Deet did a few years back, I find it just as effective as deet to.

Remember this stuff?

IMAG0181_1_zpsfirxl3yy.jpg

Found it in an old fishing bag the other day, brilliant for the midgies but horrendous on reel handles, flylines, eyes, skin, and 20 year old HW80 stock varnish still showing its effects :D

While on holiday in India my other half sprayed her feet with some 100% Deet and it melted her flipflops to her feet!

I now use thermacell and have done now for some years or citric sprays with deet in them but the thermacell 99% protects me from the buggers, if not a tube of Anthisan helps with the bites lol.

I have been reliably informed that an Avon product used by special forces and others military known as Skin So Soft, Original is a very good insect repellent. This product contains Cotronellol which seems to be the active ingredient.
I'm going to get some and try it. Has anybody else used this?

I have been reliably informed that an Avon product used by special forces and others military known as Skin So Soft, Original is a very good insect repellent. This product contains Cotronellol which seems to be the active ingredient.

Yup!, Obviously our special forces have been avoiding the real culprits, as no conflict/s at present north of the wall!:norty:

I swear by it - and I'm not special forces! Never been bitten when using this. Unlike the times when I forget to use it?

I have tried it for the last two days and found that the flies of all types do not come near. I even sprayed it onto my shirt without ill effect to the material. This must be one of the least health damaging products on the market. It does have a slight aroma but not a poofey one.
I only mentioned special forces as it was explained to me that way.

Back