6.5x47 vs 6.5x55

huntsman

I was reading a few posts recently about the 6.5x47 lapua and it seems to be a very interesting round and ticks a lot of the boxes as an all rounder.
If we take the need for a short action and economical powder requirements as a given bonus, is it still that much better than the 6.5x55.

Would it be similar too comparing say a 243win with a 6br or 6ppc? (no offence to 243 owners intended).

The likes of this caliber would really appeal to me when fitted out as a light-middle weight sporter, with bipod and Moderator,coming in around the 10lb,that's fox and deer (all species) capable and that's not going to knock you about with too much recoil.

Not 100% about this, but alot of the 6.5x55's are 1 in 8 or 8.5 this allows them to handle the heavier stuff, if you had a 6.5.x55 in say 1 in 10 would that be closer to the 6.5x47?

Last edited:
As I understand it, the 6.5x47 was developed from new for match bullets, so has less freebore than you'd get in a standard 6.5x55. Most new factory rifles are available in 6.5x55, with 6.5x47 only available through the custom makers, so your choice of rifle will largely define which one you can choose.

We're spoilt for choice really, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5-284, you could make a good case for any of them.

Last edited:
I would say the only thing to think about is whether you hand load or not. If not then you will get more choice of factory 6.5x55. Ive got a 6.5-284 its got a 1 in 8.5 and handles anything from 120-140. I prefer 140

That's a bit of a surprise, how well the 6mm's performed vs the 6.5's.

At least for hunting paper:D
I just sold my 223 T3 and plan to replace it with a fast twist 243 T3. Should be enough for our small deer and perfect forlong range vermin.
edi

6.5x47L is the current choice of the discerning, precision rifle enthusiast, and perfect for all uk deer with a 120/123 grain bullet. it is not a perfect fox rifle, it can be used, but there are much better options.(which reminds me i must phone Gregor!)

6.5x55 is for old farts that like shooting deer in the ribs from close range. a lot of people use the over heavy and unecessary 140gn bullets in it which is why we refer to it as "the pitching wedge".

6.5x47L is the current choice of the discerning, precision rifle enthusiast, and perfect for all uk deer with a 120/123 grain bullet. it is not a perfect fox rifle, it can be used, but there are much better options.(which reminds me i must phone Gregor!)

6.5x55 is for old farts that like shooting deer in the ribs from close range. a lot of people use the over heavy and unecessary 140gn bullets in it which is why we refer to it as "the pitching wedge".

Actually the 156 or 160 grain is good in the 6.5 Swedish just like the 215 grain bullet is good in the 303.

......6.5x55 is for old farts that like shooting deer in the ribs from close range. a lot of people use the over heavy and unecessary 140gn bullets in it which is why we refer to it as "the pitching wedge".

Whilst I am not sure that I agree, that did make me laugh. :D

that must mean the x47 is the choice of young mavericks who like to play fast and lose with distance pot shots, irresponsible shot placement and ethics of taking game, have less concern for ensuring backstops, trackability, and here we go:rofl:

that must mean the x47 is the choice of young mavericks who like to play fast and lose with distance pot shots, irresponsible shot placement and ethics of taking game, have less concern for ensuring backstops, trackability, and here we go:rofl:
Thats actually the 6.5x284, for the petrol-head of the rifle world.

The 6.5x55 however, is very popular in Scandinavia for both target shooting, long range and hunting.
Reason is they had nothing else, just like 8x57 is/was very popular in Germany.....had nothing else after the war. Now slowly other calibres are taking over for hunting in Scandanavia and for example Germany too.
edi

6.5x55 is for old farts that like shooting deer in the ribs from close range. a lot of people use the over heavy and unecessary 140gn bullets in it which is why we refer to it as "the pitching wedge".[/QUOTE]

"Drive for show, Pitch and Putt for the doe"!!

260 Rem would be a better option as a stalking rifle, better feeding from a magazine, more case capacity if needed and on a short action.

Buts thats not what you asked, 6.5x47 on a short action or 6.5 x 55 on a long one.

243 has a significantly higher case capacity than either PPC/Grendle ( about 31 gr with a working load high 28s, low mid 29s) or BR, about 35 grains capacity. 243 is far more versatile but cannot hold a candle to PPC or BR accuracy wise. I use PPC for small deer, works perfectly.

I have shot a semi custom 6.5 x 55, Sako 75 action, Pacnor barrel ( I think), McMillan stock and trigger job. I was easily able to shot an 8 round half inch group, recoil was negligible. Never shot a 6.5x47 though.

A

Spoken like a boy who has never owned or loaded for a 6.5x55.~Muir

Sold my 6.5 x 55 and bought a 6.5-284 how do I like being called a petrol head of the rifle world at 61 years of age.

You are a sensible man. I rebarreled my Swede in 6.5x284.
Most 6.5x47 users try to Hot Rod the little case to match the 6.5x284 anyway so why not have the real thing? :D

Yorkie.

Reason is they had nothing else, just like 8x57 is/was very popular in Germany.....had nothing else after the war. Now slowly other calibres are taking over for hunting in Scandanavia and for example Germany too.
edi

But now they are spoilt for choice and the number 1 target round is still 6.5x55.

I'll be a discerning old fart in that case... Ok, happy with that

Back