The completely blind hunter

How patronising! He had done the qualifications. If pocketing a perfectly legally held and carried pistol gives the poor guy the confidence to get out there then good on him.
Personal protection with weapons is an alien concept to me as a Brit but i can see how a culture of fear and suspicion combined with possibly the worst disability and the aftermath of what must have been a terrifying dog attack could lead to thinking a gun is the answer.

I really don't see a problem with it. He's a blind guy- not the perpetrator of a high-school massacre.

I certainly was not patronising the gentleman in question.
He has the qualifications ....so what ? .....bet that none of those had a shooting test component to them.
If he wanted something to give him confidence and provide protection against further dog attacks then pepper spray or anti-dog devices (high pitched sound alarms) would provide that without posing a lethal threat to any members of the public in the surrounding area.

There is no way he would be issued a FAC in the UK.....

Are you sure? There are several recent mistakes I have heard about through reliable sources that would rate alongside something like this!

.. It would be interesting to see the results of a shooting test tailored for this guy and his helper. You will probably find he is shooting live quarry under 50 meters so would be interesting to see the results of a group at this distance. Might be quite acceptable.

He has the qualifications ....so what ? .....bet that none of those had a shooting test component to them.
If he wanted something to give him confidence and provide protection against further dog attacks then pepper spray or anti-dog devices (high pitched sound alarms) would provide that without posing a lethal threat to any members of the public in the surrounding area.

Someone with more clout than you who's actually met the guy has deemed that he poses no greater threat than a non-blind man by having a pistol about his person.

You would lose that bet! In the USA, although each state sets their own standards, a Concealed Carry Permit is at least as stringent as a FAC. We must go through classroom training (many hours of mind numbing legal-speak), range training, RANGE QUALIFiCATION with live fire against a standard, and then an FBI background check/fingerprinting. Once issued, our CCP can be revoked for misdemeanor or felony offenses. With the exception of your storage rules, this sounds remarkably close to your FAC.

You would lose that bet! In the USA, although each state sets their own standards, a Concealed Carry Permit is at least as stringent as a FAC. We must go through classroom training (many hours of mind numbing legal-speak), range training, RANGE QUALIFiCATION with live fire against a standard, and then an FBI background check/fingerprinting. Once issued, our CCP can be revoked for misdemeanor or felony offenses. With the exception of your storage rules, this sounds remarkably close to your FAC.

How the **** did he pass the shooting tests then ??

Someone with more clout than you who's actually met the guy has deemed that he poses no greater threat than a non-blind man by having a pistol about his person.

Thank **** both of them are on that side of the pond then !

Oh...by the way...you don't know what clout I have.

Last edited:
hes got bolx and good on him but and i have a tin hat on so here go's !!

"if you can't see your target why would you/he take the shot at a live target " he can't tell the flight or overshot of any bullet or bolt .:coat:

next:Home - British Blind Sport
we have blind archers and shooters here in the uk all types of sport as you know but i think under the wing of a sighted helper i hold my hats off to them big time.

hes got bolx and good on him but and i have a tin hat on so here go's !!

"if you can't see your target why would you/he take the shot at a live target " he can't tell the flight or overshot of any bullet or bolt .:coat:

next:Home - British Blind Sport
we have blind archers and shooters here in the uk all types of sport as you know but i think under the wing of a sighted helper i hold my hats off to them big time.

Because he was only hunting with a spotter???

understand that but when the next barking dog comes running up maybe just to say hello !!!! with a kid running after it , overthinking i know but mr F***up is always around to ruin your day

Because he was only hunting with a spotter???

understand that but when the next barking dog comes running up maybe just to say hello !!!! with a kid running after it , overthinking i know but mr F***up is always around to ruin your day

I can see your point but that is a flaw in the personal protection philosophy regardless of their sight. You can't tell me anyone panicked enough to be discharging a firearm in anger in a public place is going to be considering backstop.

Like I say, there are two issues at play here and that 'documentary' was trying to exploit the grey area between the hunting/pp to appeal to its regular audience who just can't wait to be appalled and thus feel better about their own lives.

If the guy has a ticket then good luck to him- it clearly enhances his life.

Looks at the quantity of ammo/weapons many of our American friends on here consider normal- we are talking about a totally different culture/ethos.

make you right as to it makes his life better i did't say i did't wish him to have access .i have trained a fair few disabled shooters both pistols ipsc/ dpo and rifle and clay busting and a delight it was.

as to backstops this is why some get trained to deal with discharging a firearm in close built up places, i think we must agree to disagree on this point as i am just glad our laws are tighter over this side ,
:tiphat:

Back