What caliber

rob shooter

Hi chaps I am new to rifle shooting just passed my level 1 at throchty basc but have a long way to go ,present gun t3 light for roes , looking for a gun for reds any sugestions and ammo cheers rob.

may want to look at ammo availability and price... My area, 30.06 is always available and .308 not so much... And priced accordingly.....

13 quid for privi .308 150 grn ,about 22 for federals thats 5 different towns round here common calibre good availability .if your tight ask for .308/7.62 then u can buy ex nato forty quid about a 100 so its a no brainer if your trousers have the pockets on the ankles

Another +1 for the .308. does everything from large Reds down to Munties and you can buy them anywhere

oh yeah , because the extra 70-80 ft/lbs you get with a 200g bullet over a 308 makes all the difference...........

With a 20" barrel you might even get less than the 308.... recon with a short isch barrel there is nothing in it.

Only problem is that some people have problems with the recoil from a lightweight 308.
I would also suggest a T3 in 308 and if 150gr fusion cartridges group well it would be a good combination.
My suggestion would be to practice as much off-hand shooting as possible as it comes in real handy with the short range deer when stalking, one also gets to know the rifle well and it might even cure a developing flinch.
edi

With a 20" barrel you might even get less than the 308.... recon with a short isch barrel there is nothing in it.

Only problem is that some people have problems with the recoil from a lightweight 308.
I would also suggest a T3 in 308 and if 150gr fusion cartridges group well it would be a good combination.
My suggestion would be to practice as much off-hand shooting as possible as it comes in real handy with the short range deer when stalking, one also gets to know the rifle well and it might even cure a developing flinch.
edi

I run a 20" 308 ! (it's not bounced off a deer yet !)

Back