Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lost safe keys

lost safe keys

Hi all,
    I just wondered what the rest of you do with the spare set of keys to your rifle safe? I have given my spare set to my brother in law,(also an FAC holder) to store in his safe. The tag on them simply gives my first name, Likewise his spares are in my safe labelled in the same way. I have done the same with my shotgun safe keys, it's good to know if all else fails, I can get into the safe without resorting to an angle grinder.

lost safe Keys

Be Careful here. Technically you have access to firearms that are not on your certificate. I know that you would probably have to break in to your brothers house but the law may not see it that way.
    Perhaps Swampy could help on this one.

I keep my spare keys in another safe place, but at the moment cannot remember where that is.

I guess I could give one key to said brother in law and another to an FAC holder unknown to him, then I would like you forget who had what key! You are probably right about the legal side of things, but a bit of savvy has sometimes to be applied in these things? My brother in law is in the same profesion as Swampy, so I think if he thought it was ever going to be an issue he would have said. Point taken anyhow.
    Kind regards,

Lost safe keys

I lost my safe keys, my bag got lifted at an xmas party with work keys and house keys.

both lots of safe keys were in the bag. this was only time ever they had been in the same place ever, sods law.

Had to get it drilled and opened.

Now i leave aset of the keys in my work safe in a sealed envelope with my name and address.

Was cheaper to buy a new safe than to get the lock smith to repair the old one.

I have since replaced the locks and repaired the safe and use it in my garage for maintenance and ammo.

very expensive mistake with safe , house locks, garage locks work ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E
    This was a case a couple of years ago of an FAC holder being prosecuted because his elderly mother knew where his safe keys were.

IIRC, the gent travelled away from home a fair bit and argued it was reasonable that his mother knew where the keys were in case of emergency..The law disagreed and he was done, although it may have since gone to appeal.

These are not quite the same circumsatnces as this case, but it does show care needs to be taken as "common sense" does not always prevail in these cases.
    my FLO expects my other half to know where the keys to my cabinets are, as if we had secrets between us then what was i keeping from them , never once has he suggested that she gets a ticket and share the burden
    but thought it was a good idea when i suggested it

Interesting that "Stone". When I applied for my FAC I was told I had to buy a second safe, as my son and wife both had shotgun certs. It was argued that they would have access to the same safe as the one where the rifles were kept. There seems to be no overall logic here, no uniformity, still I guess it's tough when you have a country with diverse people living in it city folk/country folk. Ironicaly we keep all the safe keys in the digital safe in question! I guess we all decide for ourselves who is or isn't safe around us, legaly or not. I wonder if you feel less dead when shot with a shotgun?

dead is dead what ever gun you use, that i agree with
    the other point here if something was ever to happen to you with your other half having a ticket means the police hav no power to conviscate any weapons that you may one day of passed down to your siblings or friends and less grief for your family to sort out like getting a tempory permit , morbid maybe but very practical and lets face it who wants a complete stranger coming into your home and cutting open your cabinet and taking these most precious of items to sell at auction for their own profit , this is what my uncle was told when this was brought up at his last renewal
    i am with west mids ,he is greater manchester
    atleast you hav the shotguns sorted thats a start
    kind regards stone

Lol ...bloody safe keys I hid mine forgot where the hell I had put them found the spares they fell off my key ring..
    So got my cousin who is an engineer with a dubious past to look at my fantastic burglar proof safe.. he had the bugger open in minutes with a couple of screwdrivers and bit of flat bar.
    Told the FLO what a waste of time most safes are.. he agreed!!!!

Sussed it now got a big shiny new one with an electronic safe lock, I asked the FLO if he wanted new window locks, took one look at me said you are joklin aren't you, only thing I want to know is how you got that bleedin great thing upstairs!!