Thought that Volvo were safe cars ?

berg

IMG_20140709_095507.jpgWas most shocked to get a phone call this morning from a most upset wife saying the car just stoped and lost all power and then burst into flames put me of buying another Volvo v60 ,lucky escape and luckily the kids weren't in the car2014-07-09 09.11.16.jpgjust got this one through from the wife's phone quite scary

Last edited:
holy moly

we had one a few years back that was delivered and i was working away, got home and jumped in to start it on my return and the ignition lights came on and then there was a flash from under the bonnet, a few minutes later flames.

happy to say the volvo garage took the car back and we purchased a smaller car for the wife (ford c max) and she has never looked back

so glad alls ok with the wife etc.

bob.

Thanks so am I just couldn't believe it when I arrived at the scene ,only drove it back from Gatwick airport on Mon morning .problem now is what to get don't think I will go with Volvo

Thought that Volvo were safe cars ?

It happens to all cars mate whatever the make and model. I've dealt with hundreds of car fires and the worst affected has to be the good old Reliant Robin or some of the most expensive makes that use large composite/ carbon fibre panels. Now they really do burn.
It's hardly surprising that you get car fires when they are such complex pieces of machinery with more and more electrical components, though you do get less car fires due to fuel feed systems since the introduction of fuel injection systems rather than carburettors.

It's a diesel and it could have been a fuel leek but I wouldn't no but it sure went up quick ,the real bad thing is that when the engine lost power ,she lost the brakes and power steering as well so had two drop through the gear,s and used the hand brake to stop .As she didn't have to turn we don't know if the steering lock would have come on as well ,really dangerous stuff lucky she was in a 30mph.

Pleased everyone's OK Berg. Not a nice experience for the Mrs all the same. You mention you only drove it back recently, was it new?

Happened to an old MD of mine while he was driving his Volvo. Thankfully he managed to stop the car and everyone got away safely.

It's a diesel and it could have been a fuel leek but I wouldn't no but it sure went up quick ,the real bad thing is that when the engine lost power ,she lost the brakes and power steering as well so had two drop through the gear,s and used the hand brake to stop .As she didn't have to turn we don't know if the steering lock would have come on as well ,really dangerous stuff lucky she was in a 30mph.

Thought it might be petrol as unleaded fuel is evil stuff butt here is more profit in it hence we are lumbered with it. Used to make stuff for fore court equipment under pump valves and vapour recovery stuff.

Fuel leak fire would not likely cause such other things to pack in so quickly though so it must have been electrical then ??? Burn the wires to the ECU would shut that lot down would it not. I am no mechanic or auto electrician. Watched a video of a Rover 75 Diesel go up in a services on the Motor way. Warning lights came up to he pulled into the services and only just got out as the engine bay went up scarily quickly.

Funny we have just been looking at Volvo S40's .......................

I had a Volvo S60 that had the power steering fail whilst driving down the motorway at a fair rate.......not funny!

Pleased everyone's OK Berg. Not a nice experience for the Mrs all the same. You mention you only drove it back recently, was it new?
No 55 plate but only 50k on the clock brought of my step dad and he own it from new so it was a sound car and we only had it serviced in March ,someone's has mentioned that it could have been the air conditioning system?

Last edited:
Peugeot 307.s used to have a nasty habit of spontaneous combustion when the starter motor didn't disengage, Very glad everyone ok.Tom

Seized cooling fan motor is my best guess.... wiring sets on fire, melts the plastic fuel hoses and up it goes.

Back