Magnum Moderator

270Buck

Hi,

I am soon to be getting a 7mm Rem Mag. So not a 100+ grain powder burner. More like 60 odd grains, which is not that much more than I put through my 270 already.

I have a couple of moderators that are 30 cal that I use on my 270.

One being a Ase Utra North Star the other is a Hardy Gen 4.

Neither of which are sold as "Magnum Moderators"

Looking at some old posts on here it seems that a lot of folk use standard moderators on their magnums.

I would rather use one of the mods I already have providing there would be no pitfalls in doing so.

What are other peoples thoughts on this issue?

Cheers

I've got a standard T8 on my 7mm RemMag and a standard Ase U Jet Z Compact on my 300WM.... The T8 is fine and takes all the recoil out of it.

The Jet Z is just a bit "snappy" on my tinnitus although not enough to make me wish I had something bigger on there. Bit more of felt recoil too and that's on the Blazer LRS2......So? Call me a wimp :rofl:.

The 7mm is a standard barrel Blaser R93 Professional - every time I shoot I remember how gentle it is. :p Much easier to shoot than the unmoderated Mannlicher Schonauer .270 it replaced...would've been sacrilege to have that screwcut.

Cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:
As you indicate .................................. there are magnums .................................... and then there are MAGNUMS ;) .

I would expect any moderator capable of handling the gas capacity produce by the 270 Winchester to also be able to handle the gas capacity of the 7mm Rem Mag. However a 7mm RUM for instance would be another matter.

Some moderators are available as calibre specific. Whilst browsing I notice a couple offer a .28 calibre moderator or .28 calibre inserts if modular construction.

There are some who claimed that the 270 Win was really a magnum cartridge :confused: but the case is not really big enough to my mind for that.

Gas cutting would be an issue to watch with either cartridge IMHO.

i use a Ase north star on my 7mm rem magand had no really issue from it. it is more than capable of reducing the muzzle flip to a workable level and compared to the .270 i shot with a T8 last week, there is little to no diffrence.

BTW its burning 69gr of powder.

Andy7mm

I use my Hardy Gen IV on my 300 Win Mag with no problem. I spoke with Riflecraft beforehand and they said it was suitable so I would't worry about it on the 7mm Rem Mag.

i use a Ase north star on my 7mm rem magand had no really issue from it. it is more than capable of reducing the muzzle flip to a workable level and compared to the .270 i shot with a T8 last week, there is little to no diffrence.

BTW its burning 69gr of powder.

Andy7mm

I use my Hardy Gen IV on my 300 Win Mag with no problem. I spoke with Riflecraft beforehand and they said it was suitable so I would't worry about it on the 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks Andy and Biffa.

As I own both of these mods. I can fairly safely assume it will be safe on mine.

Cheers

Back