Deer ID questions

norma 308

Holy moly some of the cwd photos are hard work I put my glasses on even tried looking through my swaros :D And still couldn't see the tusks so clicked doe suprise it's a buck :doh: .its harder than it looks this dsc malarkey :lol:

Ha, when I did level one quite a few years ago, there was an alarming number of folk on the course that identified a CWD doe as being a red hind........so many in fact, the assessors even went back and checked the picture to check it was right! Personally I couldn't for the life of me work out how they'd made such a balls up, to think, those folk are probably out there now wondering the countryside with rifles (or possibly reading this...... You know who you are)

Ha ha probably can't see the tusks as I m on an iPad and it's small cant think how you could mix up the cwd and a red though .ive put the dsc off for a very long time but I'm pleasantly Suprised with my knowledge and that I've learnt a thing or two as well so I've been a sceptic but I'm trying to be realistic too so I'm doing a bit of school work each evening for 15'mins
norma

The online cd from Bds gives a quiz on deer ID that nearly matches the test Best bet if your not sure get out to see them in the flesh, you will learn a lot more in the field on id if you have a starchy area on id sort it out before you enrol, it's worth the effort make the actual course as easy as possible. There's plenty of other stuff to do. Get familiar with it and it will spring straight up on test time

good luck

phil

Yep not set a date yet for a test but enrolled on a online course which suits me well ,I ruptured my hamstring yesterday so that may curtail my shooting test (kneeling ) part for a while anyway .I maybe restricted to high seat work for a bit too can't see me doing too much walk stalking I certainly won't be quick anyways :rolleyes:

forget the tusks look for a black diamond for a doe
Muntjac%20Deer%20-%20Muntiacus%20reevesi.jpg
and Black lines (V)that go up only to the antlers buck
5444.Muntjac_2D00_5_5B00_1_5D00_.JPG

I told the examiners off in our test. Every picture of large hinds were of Sika and some you could only see the metatarsal gland. What dumbfounded me though were the number of people caught out by a Roe buck standing arse towards you fraying a tree. Loads of people went up to have a real good close look.
And the shooting test.........relax.

put the book down,step away from the book.warning brain meltdown possible .the book is the answer and the questions its not the bible.youl be seeing ticks n tapeworms in your sleep.read a bit make a pie.read a bit watch the simpsons ,eat the pie ,read a bit more.record emmerdale for the missus <browny points.>read a bit ave a day off.you will wonder what the panic was atb n good luck :tiphat:

+1

chill on all tests they are't hard , shooting test , if you are one to get flustered just think that no other bugger is there and you won't get the wobbles . we had a guy do all his shooting of quad sticks .

put the book down,step away from the book.warning brain meltdown possible .the book is the answer and the questions its not the bible.youl be seeing ticks n tapeworms in your sleep.read a bit make a pie.read a bit watch the simpsons ,eat the pie ,read a bit more.record emmerdale for the missus <browny points.>read a bit ave a day off.you will wonder what the panic was atb n good luck :tiphat:

Ha, when I did level one quite a few years ago, there was an alarming number of folk on the course that identified a CWD doe as being a red hind........so many in fact, the assessors even went back and checked the picture to check it was right! Personally I couldn't for the life of me work out how they'd made such a balls up, to think, those folk are probably out there now wondering the countryside with rifles (or possibly reading this...... You know who you are)

Did you read the comment in the thread dealing with Deer management on M.O.D. Property, they need DSC L 1/2 etc, but someone posted they should be mentored while stalking the ground, perhaps there should be a minimum standard before attempting these levels?

she can bog off shes got her own telly ,funny that hers is full of crap!!:-|

Back