243 and powder choice!

Davidfranklin

Im currently using a 87gr VLD in my 243 with vit 150. This is giving me 2893 FPS. Which i belive is not the fastest for a 243. Accuracy is very good. Does any one recomend a better powder a coupd try to give it a bit more speed. This rifle is mainly for foxing. Cheers

why is that not fast enough if accuracy is good ,i Use IMR 4895 and that is is about the same fps less if anything

Berg just some reason a thort it should be around 3000 FPS Or above i didnt say it wasnt fasr enough just that it wasnt the fastest for a 243

I think they come off the shelf at about 2800 2900 depending on weight of the bullet ,i use 100 grns and 75 ,but for deer stalking not foxing much so they might want to be quicker if your pushing 300 yrds plus not sure on that how do they shoot at that range ?

Iv never really tryed this load out to 300yrd mark as of yet. 250yrds its dropping around 4" with a zero ov just over a inch high. A didnt no if there was a better powder suited for this weight bullet or even if vit 150 was suitable for a 243?

Using H380 very accurate but not max load, max load was not so accurate don't have a crono so don't know the speed.
also had good results with reloader 19

David - You don't say if you are already on the max load that your particular rifle will take without any pressure signs.
How did you arrive at your current loading? - You may (with care) be able to up the load using the N150, maintain the good grouping & get a higher velocity - As long as you get no pressure signs. Leave the OAL long, (don't have it hitting the rifling or have your bullet not fully supported in the case neck) - this leaves a larger initial volume in the case which in turn tends to lower the initial pressure peak.

I always used to use Viht N140 for 243 75 grain Sierra HP varmint bullets - got 3200 ft/sec easy with superb accuracy. I've not used it for 85 grainers though. It may be a bit fast burning for that. Viht don't publish data for it.

Reload Swiss are now selling their powders here in the UK. (currently retails at £57.50 a Kilo - so excellent value for money!) They will give you quick load printouts for your requirements via email. Their RS62 & RS70 are the right ones for 243 with 80 through 105 grain bullets. Initial perusal of their data shows very good max velocities.

Load safe & enjoy!!
Ian

Ian im around mid load accourdingto manual iv worked all the way past max load always checking usual signs accuracy really goes to hell if a load any hotter. Maybe its just me over thinking things just got a bit if shock wen a put it across chronograph, was expecting it to be a little faster. Any one else had any luck with vit 150?

Im currently using a 87gr VLD in my 243 with vit 150. This is giving me 2893 FPS. Which i belive is not the fastest for a 243. Accuracy is very good. Does any one recomend a better powder a coupd try to give it a bit more speed. This rifle is mainly for foxing. Cheers

I agree the 2893 fps is slow for a 243. Yes of course it will kill a fox - but personally I want a flatter trajectory

Without a doubt you should load for accuracy - but IME you can have both good accuracy and a decent velocity.

The 243 should be quite easily be able to get speeds of 3200 + fps without issue.

Two powders I like , are H414 and IMR 4350 -- both shot really well in all the 243's I have had.

Vhit 150 is also another good powder - so maybe you should just work your load up in 0.3 grn increment until you hit another accuracy sweet spot

Pic below is a 3 shot group using 42.5grns of H414 behind an 87 grn Vmax = Velocity 3260 fps

ATB
Alan

Sir Slots,
i notice that in the Lee reloading book that 43.5 grns of H414 for a 87grn is the never exceed load.
being a beginner at reloading I feel nervous at going anywhere near these never exceed figures in the book.
Am I being too cautious and should I get a bit more experience of reloading before I go anywhere near these figures?

Sir Slots,
i notice that in the Lee reloading book that 43.5 grns of H414 for a 87grn is the never exceed load.
being a beginner at reloading I feel nervous at going anywhere near these never exceed figures in the book.
Am I being too cautious and should I get a bit more experience of reloading before I go anywhere near these figures?

Only a year or so ago - ( when the photo was taken) Hodgdon stated a safe max load of 45grn of H414 Using (85grn bullet) on their own website.
Since then seems several powder manufacturers have reduced their loads. No doubt they have to consider litigation and people who shoot in 140 degree temperatures.

But its a fair point - best starting low and working up slowly.

ATB
Alan

Last edited:
I use win 760 with 95 grain hornady sst's with a powder charge in the middle of the road.(can't remember might be 39.5grains) with good results never used a chrony so I don't know what the velocity is. Don't really care either as long as it's accurate

Back