The next time your game dealer offers you sod all

these days add the word 'pulled' to any meat and sales will soar too...words cannot explain how annoying I find that. McDo commercial for pulled chicken burger,,you kidding, there's no slow cooked and pulled chicken meat, it's just even more stringy scraps from the floor being swept up and sold as a fad! suss...

i'm thinking of launching a 'pulled spotted dick'...see if that sells! think not though! Ha ha ha.

these days add the word 'pulled' to any meat and sales will soar too...words cannot explain how annoying I find that. McDo commercial for pulled chicken burger,,you kidding, there's no slow cooked and pulled chicken meat, it's just even more stringy scraps from the floor being swept up and sold as a fad! suss...

i'm thinking of launching a 'pulled spotted dick'...see if that sells! think not though! Ha ha ha.

You must be a grumpy old man. It does the same to me.

The trouble with that is , up here we can only legally sell to a registered venison dealer or of course become a venison dealer
the later being to much trouble for most of us, as for the letter to the council depends your area some say its only a case of a letter
to register as a food business here they want you to spend thousands on premises before they will register you.

HI Bogtrotter, you should question their interpretation of the legislation. They all have to abide by EC853 which details the approval for "approved premises". Basically if you stay below a limit (approx. 4MT/yr) and don't go outside your authority, i.e. only sell to locals in Perthsire, then you don't have to go through all the hoops. You may wish to get a bit of training - basic food hygiene and set up a dedicated area (rather than just a corner of the garage that doubles for repairing the car) for decent kit (chiller, vac packer, freezer) but that would be about it.

I've noticed a lot of 'pulled' meat. What is it? Never heard of it until recently.

PKL,

I cook pulled chicken in my slow cooker, same as I cook pork. Plenty of recipes out there.

Stan

Demand might be up but the f..ing supermarkets tend to only supply farmed venison mostly fro NZ. So rather than supporting a local wild product they ship stuff half way around the globe.
I popped into a pub in the centre of the New Forest after clearing rides on some of my ground that is literally on its doorstep and saw venison on the menu and thought great I'll have that till I noticed that this too was from a NZ farm! In the middle of an area that you can bump into 4 species .

Demand might be up but the f..ing supermarkets tend to only supply farmed venison mostly fro NZ. So rather than supporting a local wild product they ship stuff half way around the globe.
I popped into a pub in the centre of the New Forest after clearing rides on some of my ground that is literally on its doorstep and saw venison on the menu and thought great I'll have that till I noticed that this too was from a NZ farm! In the middle of an area that you can bump into 4 species .
\

Generally Farmed venison is preferred by supermarkets due to its consistency in quality and supply. The demand for farmed venison in the UK outstrips the availability, so in most cases, NZ venison is used to support the demand over here.

The Waitrose group are very supportive of UK deer farming, and are currently offering a premium for farm assured product. Sales of wild venison have also soared, mainly due to the efforts of celebrity chefs such as Mike Robinson, and the high quality standards of processed wild product supplied from quality game dealers such as Vicars Game.

However, there are still quality issues regarding the standard of wild venison carcasses going into the trade. Whilst we all know that in the main venison provided by most UK deer stalkers is of a very high standard, there are still those that are happy to try and offload sub-standard, badly treated carcasses into the trade. Until these are completely nailed then supermarkets are unlikely to wholeheartedly support wild product.

The BDFPA are working hard to get some quality assurance scheme going to help deer parks capitalise on the high prices paid for high quality, consistent product from deer parks. All deer parks in the UK would do well to support this initiative.

The future of wild deer venison is very much in the hands of the quality game dealers, and they are all working hard to raise the profile of wild venison. BUT the deer stalkers who supply the game trade are equally responsible for ensuring that only top quality product from our countryside finds its way onto the consumers plate.

Best regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

\

Generally Farmed venison is preferred by supermarkets due to its consistency in quality and supply. The demand for farmed venison in the UK outstrips the availability, so in most cases, NZ venison is used to support the demand over here.

The Waitrose group are very supportive of UK deer farming, and are currently offering a premium for farm assured product. Sales of wild venison have also soared, mainly due to the efforts of celebrity chefs such as Mike Robinson, and the high quality standards of processed wild product supplied from quality game dealers such as Vicars Game.

However, there are still quality issues regarding the standard of wild venison carcasses going into the trade. Whilst we all know that in the main venison provided by most UK deer stalkers is of a very high standard, there are still those that are happy to try and offload sub-standard, badly treated carcasses into the trade. Until these are completely nailed then supermarkets are unlikely to wholeheartedly support wild product.

The BDFPA are working hard to get some quality assurance scheme going to help deer parks capitalise on the high prices paid for high quality, consistent product from deer parks. All deer parks in the UK would do well to support this initiative.

The future of wild deer venison is very much in the hands of the quality game dealers, and they are all working hard to raise the profile of wild venison. BUT the deer stalkers who supply the game trade are equally responsible for ensuring that only top quality product from our countryside finds its way onto the consumers plate.

Best regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
01264 811155

Mike I agree that the stalker is the probably the key to quality , but how would this quality control be implemented? If the game dealer offers less for poor carcass then the stalker goes elsewhere and this would be open to abuse by dealers. I have heard tell that some dealers offer a premium for head and neck shot animals, I don't think this should be encouraged either.

The last thing you want is the suppermarkets selling wild venison ,they won't pay alot to the game dealer for it and in return you would see the price drop the same as evey thing eles they have got there hands no ,long term it would be a very bad thing ,the fact that its a bit off a niche product holds the value up and keeps people wanting it ,let them sell there nz venison and we can keep the edge over them by offering and low in fat and cholesterol free range healthy meet witch has omega 3 beniffits .As for quality you dont think for one minute that they would buy a whole carcase :rofl: they would just cherry pick the best bits leaving the producer with the bit that no one wants ,thats why the price would go down,to make up for what cant be sold .The stanard of the venison going into them would be the same as now ,as all game dealers have a in house meat inspector who stamps the carcases if they are fit for use ,if its FIT its FIT theres no higher levels for suppermarkets just becouse the shoulders have been blown out all that means is that when they are skined ,before they can be stamped they will have to be removed or trim heavily .That might mean they cut the whole front end off and bin it but until they meet the standard they will not go anywhere ,when they do they can be stamped and get procesed ,so what you do as a stalker will have no differences to the end product as long as it meets the requirements off the FSA witch all shot deer should regardless off where its going (even in your freezer) or to the dealer ,any gut contence found in the carcass would not /should not be excepted in to the food chain as is allready known by most stalkers

We were visiting the smoke a couple of weeks ago and a stand on borough market were Selling venison fillet at £44 kg, and oven ready wood pigeon for £2.50 each :rolleyes:

Back