gps advice

jimmy milnes

Hi all,
I'm wanting to get a hand held gps unit to mark points and also to allow me to get to places I can see on a map the most direct way.
Needs to be super accurate "had an old one given with black white screen and was crap" needs to work under trees have a proper os type map picture and be idiot proof.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Jimmy

Garmin GPSMAP 62 GPS... if the trees are too thick none will work they need to see the satellites. That said if you lock it on in the open then they usually stay connected but you would lose pin point accuracy.

I had quite a few in the past, but know i'm just using my Suunto Ambit GPS watch... it does exactly the same thing, you got compass and barometer as well and is dead easy to download your POI and routes on a computer, also to upload a route from a computer.

Garmin GPSMAP 62 GPS... if the trees are too thick none will work they need to see the satellites. That said if you lock it on in the open then they usually stay connected but you would lose pin point accuracy.

Only one problem with the 62, it doesn't have a screen lock!

Have a look at Micronavigation forum for more info on Satellite Nav matters that you would ever wish to know.

The 62s is one of the current thumbs up units from people who have in less of a social life than I do. Apparently unit changes are on the way from Garmin and the advice is these units may soon see some heavy discounting.

I have had a GPS Map 60 for nearly 10 years now, used in in the car, on bikes and on foot and at sea no complaints at all.
It is now an older model but still works great and better than some on the newer ones, but as others have mentioned, thick tree cover will stop them all from getting a signal.

Neil. :)

GPS units tend to be fashion items these days so buy last year's model and save some cash for no reduction in real world function.
in terms of accuracy they tend to be very similar, I bet there are probably very few companies making the actual chips to do this and so they are probably all running the same, or very similar, hardware no matter what you buy. Your view of the sky and the satellite geometry on the day are what matters.

Screen lock is where you lock the screen and have to press two
set buttons to make any changes. Handy feature when you want to track you but don't want to hold or look at the screen. Put it in your pocket and go.

I use View Ranger on my phone as it has a very good gas built in ad most do theses days. OS maps can be loaded and has a buddy feature to track a friend or you for safety if needled. Basic software is free just pay for maps.

Back