Harkila, worth the money??

RED-DOT

Looking through the Harkila price list i am beginning to doubt Harkilas pricing. £40 for a beanie and £60 for a skip cap is just plain robbery. Having been to a lot of fairs and shows it seems everyone and their auntie are selling it.. I see some shooters dressed head to toe in it right down to the socks and braces.
I think the brand is so common now they can't charge what they do for exclusivity any more??

They can and will if it is continuing to sell. They will probably only reduce the prices is sales take a turn for the worse.
im with you on the price for hats etc stupid money and I wouldn't waste that money on a hat when I can have a stalk for that price. I buy my clothing because it feels wright and is quality not because of the name that is placed on the front.

I no you pay for what you get but that amount for a hat never can that be justified for quality.

Last edited:
I see Fjallraven are doing it now too. Their artic fox has gone from a square inch to the size of a fag packet and it looks naff...

All my Harkila kit is made in Estonia and China were labour costs are low, so as that saving gone back into the product or profit....? but it works as long as the gore tex lasts....! i'll thing i'll try Nomad next,

Got the Pro Hunter trousers - they work, but were expensive. Others on the estate have the jackets - less so, especially in driving rain, where they seem to let in quite quickly. The acid test is - would I buy another pair. Possibly......

Without doubt it's quality kit. Is it perfect? No, but then again neither is anything else on the market and from my experience at least, it works in that it is breathable and as waterproof as any woven material can be given today's technology.

But I have to agree with RED-DOT. The prices are way too much.

At this end of the market, it's a bit like fashion clothes these days. Harkila make good stuff, people buy it, others follow, the price is high but you've got to look the part....and so on. Go back years and Barbour were the brand to be seen in. What next? Dolce & Gabbana shooting clobber?

I have Harkila jacket & trousers, both bought secondhand. I also have Deerhunter, again bought secondhand and they are good, just not AS good. I also have MTP, again secondhand, and they are perfect for summer stalks as there's nothing to them. All are appropriate to the weather forecast when I set out :D

Harkila design and build every garment for a function with the best materials available for the task and not to a price, like Audi, BMW, Range Rover etc.

Check our blog on Wet Out, this might be of help. The team just might need to replace the water repellent coating on the garments Lochty, after a few years wear, the rub points, elbows shoulders etc the outer finish wears off and causes Wet out. A wash through with Nikwax Tech Wash restores it.
Re-proofing Clothing FAQ | Rugged s Blog

Don't think I will buy it simply as it's become a bit of a uniform and I don't like to look just like every other person.

I find stuff that works for hot, cold, dry or wet that suits me not the retailer.

Don't be a lemming go your own way.

Having said that I might buy if it fits a need but never has to date.

if you saw the pants i use for shooting you would be wondering what the hells still holding them together,about a thousand yards of cotton i will take a pic later if i remember and i have moleskins and army surp and a brand new pair of keepers but im one of them im frightened of ruining them! i know its daft but hey i dont give a hoot ,im only going to get stuck on a poorly patched up wire fence so stuff it,i swear i came in one night and misses took one look and said loudly ,BRING ME THE COTTON!!!:rofl:i was stood there with my right leg showing and my calvins!:rofl:

When you say pants you mean trousers right...........don't you?

I feared what pics you were going to put up :eek:

I am sorry but the mark up on clothing is well known 100-300%

I have some harkila breeks and some pro hunter trousers
one off eBay second hand barely used - £50
one off Scott Country at end of line previous model prices - £130

only way i would part with my hard earned and no way in hell I would pay their new model prices
I like the cap they do until I flipped the tag over...not the only thing I flipped ....

When you say pants you mean trousers right...........don't you?

I feared what pics you were going to put up :eek:
told you calvins,:norty:i do have some decent clobber but i cant be arsed tell you the truth View attachment 44608View attachment 44609 i swear ive had these seelands 6 or7 years i think they are part of me now as i cant get rid of them,believe me these pics do them justice,the best 50/60 quid i ever spent,

Last edited:
I am sorry but the mark up on clothing is well known 100-300%

Not Harkila I can 100-300% assure you. As a retailer of Harkila, Seeland, Jack Pyke, Carhartt etc, not one brand has these types of margins. If the days of high mark up ever existed, they certainly do not now.

Looking through the Harkila price list i am beginning to doubt Harkilas pricing. £40 for a beanie and £60 for a skip cap is just plain robbery. Having been to a lot of fairs and shows it seems everyone and their auntie are selling it.. I see some shooters dressed head to toe in it right down to the socks and braces.
I think the brand is so common now they can't charge what they do for exclusivity any more??

I can't speak for the clothing, but I would certainly avoid the Harkila Roe sack! It will fall apart after only a few sessions.

I can't speak for the clothing, but I would certainly avoid the Harkila Roe sack! It will fall apart after only a few sessions.
I have to agree with Erik on this one my Harkila roe sack did the same I purchased the sack from Swillingtons who are first class to deal with, they offered me a replacement or my money back I chose the latter.
AJR

Pretty sure that mark up is double the buy-in cost then add the vat.

No we can assure you it is nothing like that amount, it is far less. Hence why retail stores close at a rate of knots as the overheads are far higher than Online sellers.

Swillingtons have a great reputation and as with all Harkila Stockist, offer a very high level of service.

Back