Selecting roe bucks for culling

J111

Hi guys am after a bit of advice please. On my patch which is about 30 acres of woodland I have shot a few muntys but no roe as yet as I've generally not seen that many about. Recently I've seen a few does about and one buck which was a nice looking 6 pointer. I should say I think it's been one buck I'm 90% sure it's the same one. Anyway I've left it alone as it looked in good condition and was thinking of shooting it after the rut. Also concerned that if I shot it and it was the alpha buck (what's it called?) I've heard that others from the surrounding area would come in and do a lot of damage fraying and marking territory.

I shoot the woodland on the owners behalf to a) keep the muntys in check (generally shoot every one I see unless with dependant young) b) keep the deer population generally under control as they've had tree damage and difficulty planting new saplings c) keep a supply of meat going.

Any thoughts on how to develop a policy for which bucks and doe to shoot?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your shooting plenty of deer, in my opinion, your correct in what youve heard that young bucks will do more damage, as you will have a higher density of young bucks in an area than mature animals and those you do get will generally be more intensive with the level of damage.

If i were you, from what you say, i would leave the buck alone and continue to shoot you munties. if you want to shoot nice roe bucks, swap some of your munties for a roe!

Sounds like your shooting plenty of deer, in my opinion, your correct in what youve heard that young bucks will do more damage, as you will have a higher density of young bucks in an area than mature animals and those you do get will generally be more intensive with the level of damage.

If i were you, from what you say, i would leave the buck alone and continue to shoot you munties. if you want to shoot nice roe bucks, swap some of your munties for a roe!
That sounds like a sensible advice.wait and see what the doe,s produced this year you can always thin a few of them out it in Jan Feb ,while they are grouped together you can have a good look at what you have got and make a plan for the coming year. it's nice to have a good buck or two on the land

If you only have 30acres it depends on what is happening around you, as much as what you do, if your neighbour shoots this buck, you will still have young bucks coming in, as to damage grazing of the tips , young leaves, is what will cause the most damage on saplings.

chances are it'll vanish after the rut anyway
theres your answer, going on what youve said i think your just looking to shot another species and thats fine no harm in that but why not wait until your does come into season see what young are about and make your decision then this said if hes an old boy then maybe his time has come to go

If you are shooting 30 acres then you may never see any Buck twice unless you have the Does on the land cos they will bring in Bucks during the rut,so for what it is worth I would say just shoot whatever buck is in front of you when you see them,they will be replaced if there is a decent population in and around your permission.It is a bit like Fox shooting,if you shoot a Fox two will come to the funeral,so you won't run out of Deer.
:popcorn:

I agree with martin but if a real cracker turns up then let him have his wicked way then shoot him lol.30 acre can be managed and I have some areas like that I just get it into my head that every one else is like me and leaves the best on the ground and the pour ones go in the freezer.

Cheers for the advice guys. Much appreciated. Am away for a few weeks from the weekend unfortunately so hopefully he'll still be about when I get back!
Any tips on ageing roe? I understand antlers aren't a good indicator.

You clearly need to read some books on roe stalking J111. You're going to get numerous different answers to every question you ask on here. Already we're getting pictures posted of animals that people have just shot that I would never have culled at this time of year and probably not this year at all! Most of the stalkers on here are not deer managers and readily admit to shooting everything they see, therefore many of the answers given will differ between them and the true managers. Clearly your aim is to be a manager though so you will need to learn a bit about the subject.
Ageing is an art which is more easily done by seeing lots of animals. Herds of mixed age and sex animals in the winter and spring can be studied and give good comparisons from their stature, neck thickness and body weight as well as how they walk and other react to their presence. Antlers can help when ageing but when used on their own can make a mug of the best stalker. I'm sure that you have learnt to age your munties quite quickly and ageing roe is no different.
Finally, don't listen to those that say 'shoot it before someone else does'. 6Pointer's attitude of leaving the best and assuming that those stalking around his areas will do the same is commendable imo and is the way to improve the quality of the species.
Hope that helps.
Baguio

Last edited:
Back