Thread: Not A Pigeon Pair

Not A Pigeon Pair

Yesterday my local Farmer Rang to let me Know he had just Whole cropped his 2 Fields of Wheat so up early this morning for a spot of Pigeon Decoying, i got to the first Field just as it was getting light few birds about but not to many so off to the Larger of the 2 Fields this one is about 25 Acres.I got inside the gateway and scanned the Field with the Bins but it was a Bit misty after the last nights Thunder Storms, i drove down under the hedge to where i could see all of the Field there were a few more Pigeons in this one. i was making my mind up to where the best spot would be to set up when i caught sight of a Deer right out the other end of the Field i ranged it at 589 yards to far to tell if it was a Buck or not, i got out of the Truck and went to the back to get my 243 i took my Rifle as i thought early morning fresh cut stubble could be the chance of a Fox, i pulled the bipod down and walked to the front of my Truck but looking through the Bins the Deer was nowhere to be seen, i think it went through a gap in the hedge by the side of a big old Oak Tree and into the Neighbours standing Corn, i though oh well lets get on with the Decoying then i remembered i had my Buttalo in the glove box so for the hell of it i gave a few squeaks then a few more and a few more to my surprise the Deer appeared through the gap and stood looking my way. i slowly got down behind 2/3 rows of standing Corn which the Harvester had missed or could'nt get to, i layed Prone and gave another Squeak this time the Deer came right into the Field and once more i could make out it to be a good young Buck, a couple more squeaks and he came full pelt towards me but i noticed on behind him was another dark shape, i was puzzled as the Buck came closer so did it's follower i to a close look a the Buck now some 300 yards away and i thought i was looking at an Antlered Doe with a this years kid running on behind, as it got closer i was sure it was a Buck then i made out what the Animal running about 40 yards behind the Deer it was a Fox it must have been coming to the Buttalo squeaks, by this time my Buck was 150 yards away but face on he turned to my left and started a slow but meaningful stomp towards me, he was 127 yards from me but not a good angle for a chest shot the shot was safe so i went for the neck and he dropped to the ground, then to my amazement as the Buck was twitching and kicking on the ground Charlie made a Bee line straight towards it i chambered a round shouted and dropped The Fox 22 feet behind the Grassed Buck.Never ever would of thought that could happen, it was a oldish Dog Fox aswell not and inexperienced Cub !! I Gralloched the Deer cleaned up and shot a few Pigeons and crows and after 3 hours another Buck came through the same gap, i did get to my Truck and Rifle but no way was he going to come to the Buttalo after 2/4 squeaks he was gone back the way he came.

nice write up, well done

Thank God you didnt gralloch Charly....
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Good write up and nice pair

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    That's certainly one to remember! A good write up, and good shooting too: thanks for sharing.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay