Compact Moderator:- a un-expected outcome.

Thar

I have had an A-Tec Compact Modular Moderator for sometime, for those that are not familiar with this moderator its construction allows you to remove baffles from the end so you can shorten and lighten the moderator allowing you to taper it exactly to your caliber or given task.

I brought mine with the view of replacing the old T8 that I was using on my 223. I knew from the start that I would be removing some of the 6 baffles when I used it on my 223. I removed 2 baffles and found that it equaled the performance of the T8 when so configured.

I now had a moderator that was lighter and more compact than the old one; this combination has successful accounted for 20 or so roe.

If I am stalking on one of my blocks that hold red as well as roe, I tend to carry my 243WSSM rifle, up until now I have had a Overbarrel A-Tec moderator fitted on this rifle. This moderator weighs 500gms so is pretty light any way.

I decided to try the CCM on the 243WSSM with the same baffle stack as I was using on the 223, I fully expected it to be a bit loud, as the 243WSSM is quite barky, but thought that I could always fit another baffle on to tame it. Much to my amazement it was equally as quiet to my ear as the bigger A-Tec moderator and the CCM so configured weighed only 385gms. To put that in perspective a T8 weighs 640gm, a Northstar 630gms a Jet-Z 520gms.

I am not sure why these moderators are not more popular, perhaps they don’t get the exposure of the others. They are very adaptable and of course fully strippable the price is not too bad either at £195.

P1010260-1.jpg

P1010261.jpg

ATB

Tahr.

Kev,
that was about the same result a university in Germany came up with.
They tested all moderators that they could get their hands on and the A-tec Modular came out on top. Regardless of weight and size. I have one on a 308 and love it.

edi

Compact moderator :- unexpected outcome.

Hi Thar,
I too have 243WSSM and have tried one or two mods on it. I was thinking of getting a jet-z compact but have been told the new CRB model from Jacksons is better still.
I rather like the idea of the modualar set up, does it come in one format or do you have a choice?

That looks like a really good moderator who makes it and were can i purchase one from. Also would it be ok on a .270 win

Thanks Hightower

Please contact me via PM if anyone wants any info on the moderator as I dont want anyone accusing me of advertising.

I use one of these mods for load testing - everything from smaller 6.5mm's up to 338LM, it is a very effective moderator and pretty bomb proof - especilly with my 338 loads :p

Thar

Thanks for posting this topic.

I have been after one of these since late last year and when I phoned Jackson rifles they said they didn't have them in stock until March this year.

Can I ask where you got yours from please as I was presuming Jacksons was the only place I could obtain one?

Thanks

JB

Jager SA said:
Please contact me via PM if anyone wants any info on the moderator as I dont want anyone accusing me of advertising.

Hi Jon

Contact this man above, he has plenty of them.

ATB

Tahr

I have just ordered my moderator from Jackson rifles and it will be here at the end of the week. I was also told that if i had bought it from the chap on here that they the main distributor would not honour any warranties.
Thank you for drawing this to our attention. As a general rule we do not post messages on internet forums, but you are welcome to quote the following if you wish:
New design
When we took over the distribution of A-TEC sound moderators last year we found that CMM moderator (as shown) gave very good average sound reduction results over a 5-10 round string, but the “first round pop” was louder than we were willing to accept.

The A-TEC CMM moderator has now been re-designed, and the new CMM-4 ALU weighs only 220 g (7 ¾ oz). As such, we believe that it is by far the lightest stalking rifle silencer which genuinely meets current UK and EU workplace noise regulations.

Best regards,
Peter.
Be careful.

Hightower said:
I have just ordered my moderator from Jackson rifles and it will be here at the end of the week. I was also told that if i had bought it from the chap on here that they the main distributor would not honour any warranties.
Be careful.

Interesting, I was the distributor for A-TEC before Jackson rifles took over and the units come with a 2 year warranty!

Regardless of that my friend anything I sell comes with my own warranty so fear not.

The aluminium moderator will weigh less of course, but the problem with using aluminium for the primary baffles in a moderator is they fire cut badly, the melting point for pure aluminium is less than 700 degrees and what ever coating they put on will burn off. How much a problem that will be only the buyer can decide?

As for the noise reduction I find his comment strange, as to my mark one ears I could detect no difference in the first and subsequently shots, the aluminium compact moderator looks almost identical to the steel one in baffle design.

In theory the first shot though any moderator should be the quietest, as the moderator and air inside are at the coolest, there by cooling the expanding gases more than following shots. One way to make a moderator work more effectively is to spay a small amount of water into it, the water evaporating and turning to steam cool the gases more effectively, that’s the theory I would not really recommend it though.

I would be interested in the science that makes the first shot louder.

I have access to sound measuring meters though the laboratory were I work, I was going to borrow one to do some testing for my own interest (how may baffles could I reduce before the suppression was compromised and how the other moderators myself and friends have compare etc.) I will pay special interest to how the first shot compares in noise suppression to subsequent shots.

ATB

Tahr

Thar,

Im not sure that this is correct but my understanding for first round pop aditional to design is the resident o2% being lower in subsequent shot strings.

I'm sure someone will correct / elaborate on this.

Hightower said:
Thank you for drawing this to our attention. As a general rule we do not post messages on internet forums, but you are welcome to quote the following if you wish:
New design
When we took over the distribution of A-TEC sound moderators last year we found that CMM moderator (as shown) gave very good average sound reduction results over a 5-10 round string, but the “first round pop” was louder than we were willing to accept.

The A-TEC CMM moderator has now been re-designed, and the new CMM-4 ALU weighs only 220 g (7 ¾ oz). As such, we believe that it is by far the lightest stalking rifle silencer which genuinely meets current UK and EU workplace noise regulations.

Best regards,
Peter.
Be careful.

So does the CMM 6 not genuinely meet the UK EU workplace noise regulations? Interesting...!

Like I said, I have CMMs on the shelf, they came in through the correct channels as I was distributing A-TEC at the time.
But whats being said here is any A-TEC CMMs sold other than through Jackon Rifles, the manufacturer wont honour the warranty...interesting, very interesting!

Regardless of what has been said, any units sold (By me) will carry a warranty against defective materials or workmanship, excluding normal wear and tear justlike anything else we do.

I am sorry you are so up set there was no bad intent meant by this post. I contacted admin to see if the site approved of the moderator as it is not on the advertising page and they said no they do not . I got a PM from a member to say that if i was interested to contact Jackson Rifles .I did this and while his price was dearer ( slightly ) he came back with the response i wrote. It was cut and pasted from the email i received. If you want me to remove my posts i will do and i do hope the baffles do no ware on my new moderator when it arrives .

Hightower said:
I am sorry you are so up set there was no bad intent meant by this post. I contacted admin to see if the site approved of the moderator as it is not on the advertising page and they said no they do not . I got a PM from a member to say that if i was interested to contact Jackson Rifles .I did this and while his price was dearer ( slightly ) he came back with the response i wrote. It was cut and pasted from the email i received. If you want me to remove my posts i will do and i do hope the baffles do no ware on my new moderator when it arrives .

There's no issue here for me im just letting people know what the situation is based on posted info, no need to remove your posts, no offence taken.
Theres no advertising being posted here, I made that quite clear and asked for anyone wanting info to be put in PM. I cant prevent people posting pictures or info on any products being used or sold anywhere.

Back