Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: muntjac control.

muntjac control.

Do we have the correct mindset to control muntjac numbers?
    What am I wittering on about?
    You stalk into a munty doe and its not obviously preggers so you pass the shot rather than leave a potentially at foot kid motherless.
    You do the same at the next doe even though she looks like she may be up the duff but you're not 100% certain.
    A buck pops out....fizz...bang...wallop. ..dead munty o'clock.
    By not accepting that we may leave a kid to suffer are we causing a disproportionately high number of does and the subsequent explosion in their number?
    Is there a point were the damage to the environment muntys cause takes precedence to animal welfare?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Interesting point. Would be interesting to know how many people actually leave does that dont appear obviously pregnant.
    I would suspect most are shot without such consideration though.

I spoke to an experienced stalker about this not long ago as I said I'd passed up a shot on a doe in thick woodland for exactly the reason you said, following best practice guidelines, etc. The average for shooting muntjac in this particular area is one every 6 outings. If we were to pass up shots on this basis, that average would soon rocket and we wouldn't shoot enough to do the job we are there for, which is get the numbers down as low as possible.

I think this is land specific and would be driven by the landowner also.

For example, another area I shoot, I am now expected to control the muntjac to an acceptable level and have more time, open spaces to observe them before shooting. Saying that I have only seen a doe with a youngster once and it was too dark to shoot, otherwise I'd have taken the youngster 1st. By chance I have also shot two doe's that have been pregnant, but I could not tell beforehand anyway as they were in the early stages.

Personally, and I think I may get the odd critical post for saying it, I think should you be unlucky enough to leave a youngster it would soon be taken by a fox and would not suffer a long, lingering death by starvation.

Is there a point were the damage to the environment muntys cause takes precedence to animal welfare?

I guess the above depends who you ask, but is a very good question. Ethically obviously not, but in reality (and I doubt many would openly admit it) I reckon there are plenty of landowners who would say yes!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

A very difficult call. Fortunately most slim munty does I see, have their fawn with them, the big fat ones get shot as a matter of course. Mistakes are always easy to make and we all do it on occasions, like it or not. My suggestion for what it's worth, is to watch the doe for a while,if the fawn is there it will appear fairly quickly as a general rule. Again just my thoughts and I don't collect heads (having kept only one roe from many hundreds)but I never shoot Munty bucks in velvet,that at least equates the situation a little.

I would imagine there are people in parts of the country who would love to see a munty on there land

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    I would imagine there are people in parts of the country who would love to see a munty on there land

Yet no one minds shooting wet vixens, cubs left to starve, why ? because there vermin, double standards or what, deer in the wrong place are vermin, like potatoes in a wheat field is a weed. would we be looking at deer in a different light, if the deer act didn,t exist, remember it was only brought in to prevent the peasants from eating The Lord of the manors sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Yet no one minds shooting wet vixens,
    "no one"? I do, so I don't.

I have found that munty does normally have they kids close at foot ,I shoot them on the spot and wait 5 mins or so maybe give a quick call on the caller to see if any thing appears I have offensive shot doe and kid that way ,an often well disgusts one is should you shoot kid or mum 1st ,if you shoot the kid the mum runs ,shoot the mum 1st and the kid normally run 10 meters then comes back to see where mums gone ,this all depends on how much you are under pressure to reduce the numbers of course .

5 years ago I took on the management of 8 hectares of woodland. Its mainly hazel coppice, although none had been done in 10 years. I started with block coppicing to establish a 7 year cycle. Now I'm not a pro woodsman or Stalker but one thing I soon realised was you don't get nice new hazel growth and Muntjac in the same wood. So after 3 years of trying to control muntjac numbers with no real benefit to the hazel I started shooting on site all muntjac. Only now is the hazel becoming established and funnily the numbers of Muntjac I shoot has also not declined. There will always be Muntjac.