I.D. This....

RED-DOT

My two year old had a pure white maggoty like grub on his ring this morning. It was 2/3" long with blunt ends unlike a maggot being pointed and cream in colour.
I will get wormers but anyone know if he picked this up in the long grass or is it a Abdo?

Sounds like a Tapeworm segment , while a tapeworm can be six inches or more in length what we usually see is a segment which is basically a body section which is a repository for eggs, pretty sure that's what your seeing,time to worm them I think.

RD - don't f**k about. Get the dog (assuming that is what you're on about) to a vet as soon as is possible & get it treated properly. Tinterweb diagnosis is probably right, (Due respect to Apache) but you need to be sure & get it checked in the real world and the correct dose of the optimum medicine applied to rid the animal of this fully developed parasite.

Let this be a timely reminder to all dog owners to keep up to date with worming, jabs, frontline etc.

Ian

Why would you take a dog to the vet for worms ?? Just treat the thing.
And you can keep your worming , jabs , frontline etc as well.

These are all done at home , without the need for a vet.

Why would you take a dog to the vet for worms ?? Just treat the thing.
And you can keep your worming , jabs , frontline etc as well.

These are all done at home , without the need for a vet.

Jabs done at home without the need for a vet. Do go on....

I'm intrigued

(although this dog absolutely has tapeworm and I can see no reason to physically examine it, as long as under the care of the practice. The wormer we use is prescription only so the animal needs to have been seen by us in reasonably recently)

This has to be a leg pulling exercise - I find it very difficult to believe that somebody who keeps dogs and shoots regularly and has for quite a few years does not know what worms are or has not encountered them at some point in their life.....

This has to be a leg pulling exercise - I find it very difficult to believe that somebody who keeps dogs and shoots regularly and has for quite a few years does not know what worms are or has not encountered them at some point in their life.....

I was thinking this also.
Especially as RD was on last week asking for a source of Dog wormer and several people obliged.

No leg pulling intended and this is the first time i have seen a tapeworm segment. Now liberally dose with 2 Milbemax tablets each.

To be fair, I worm my dogs regularly so I have never seen a tapeworm from them. See them frequently on clients dogs, and cats particularly.

Back