.17 25 grain bullet choices / availability

liongeorge

Hi all, I've hit a bit of a brick wall and need some help.

I recently bought a CZ527 in .17 hornet, I love this rifle and have swiftly worked my way through the initial 250 shop bought 20gr bullets, while doing this I got everything together for reloading and decided 25gr was the way to go and got 200 Hornady v-max.
I have had a few problems working up a load having to change primers and powders (Lil-gun rapid but erratic high pressure problems..another story have now moved to H4198).
So I have at last worked up a load with about 100 bullets left I have found that stock in UK is virtually non existant. The Hornady have a great BC and my rifle groups well with them Berger 25 gr are highly recommended but only the match FB target are available (do these expand ? what would these perform like in the field?) the match FB varmint are the ones I want but can't find them anywhere.

Can anyone recommend a 25grain .17 bullet that is available.

Any help much appreciated

George

Berger 25 grn match bullets are very accurate, but dont expand as well as Vmax - The Berger MEF are very explosive , but they are discontinued.

In either case - 25 grn Berger bullets have low BC's - In fact not much different to the lighter and therfore faster 20 gn Vmax.

20 grn Vmax is the way to go IMO - The 25grn Vmax may have a better BC - but you will be losing lot of velocity over the 20 grn pill - I dont think you will see much of a benifit.

ATB
Alan

Liongeorge,

It might help to know where you have tried (Reloading Solutions? Norman Clarke? MidwayUK? etc.)

Sir-slots-alot

The gap between the Berger and Hornady BCs is so great, for such a similar bullet, that I'd say this is one of the many occasions on which the manufacturer's claimed BC is not to be relied upon.

I use 25-grain V-Max and 25-grain Berger loads, and they behave almost identically for drop and wind at the same velocities. Accuracy is also very similar. I'd have no regrets about buying either, just get them where I can.

ATVB

Mr. G.

Liongeorge,

It might help to know where you have tried (Reloading Solutions? Norman Clarke? MidwayUK? etc.)

Sir-slots-alot

The gap between the Berger and Hornady BCs is so great, for such a similar bullet, that I'd say this is one of the many occasions on which the manufacturer's claimed BC is not to be relied upon.

I use 25-grain V-Max and 25-grain Berger loads, and they behave almost identically for drop and wind at the same velocities. Accuracy is also very similar. I'd have no regrets about buying either, just get them where I can.

ATVB

Mr. G.

Mr G - They are not a similar bullets at all - As you will know Vmax are a ballistic tipped bullet - and berger 25 grn match are a hollow point.

The vmax are shaped more streamlined and therefore more aerodynamic , compared with the 25 grn Berger bullets - See pics

Berger 25grn match http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com/17-Cal-25-Grain-Match-Grade-FB-Varmint_p_9.html

25 grn Vmax http://www.hornady.com/store/17-Cal-.172-25-gr-V-MAX/

I suspect the reason you cant tell the difference in BC is due the the high muzzle velocity - both are as flat out to 200 yrds

ATB
Alan

They are not a similar bullets at all [...] I suspect the reason you cant tell the difference in BC is due the the high muzzle velocity - both are as flat out to 200 yrds

A fair point!

Now I've got a Superchrono I'll try comparing muzzle and downrange velocities and see how big a difference there is in the "observed" BCs.

I totally agree about getting less expansion from the Bergers, and they'll often punch clean through a broadside fox -as in the case of a vixen I had at 165m last night-; though I did decapitate a rabbit rather "spectacularly" with one last week at just over 100m.

Anyway, you've correctly guessed that I've never really stretched the legs of my .17 RFB, largely because I tend to take the .204 or even the .243 if longer ranges or higher winds are anticipated.

Thanks Guys, I have tried Reloading solutions , Midway , Dauntsey Guns and various others that have no stock. I haven't tried Norman Clark will try first thing in the morning. Have found 1 box in Scotland. The nice chap said he would post it down to my RFD if I faxed him my FAC and the RFD cert but I'm after 500+ really and it's a lot of agro for 100.
I would preffer the 25 grain v maxes as I have really been stretching its legs with the 20 gr with good results to 300 yds. I know it will be even better with the 25 grainers the ballistic program gives it loads more energy between 3 and 400yds and much less wind effect. I was getting .5 inch groups with my last load so would like to stick with them.

So still on the look out...

I have been using the berger 25g match bullets on fox and small game. Seems to kill exceptionally well but I haven't had an exit from a fox yet. I have more confidence in the 25g berger for fox than the 20g vmax

I have been using the berger 25g match bullets on fox and small game. Seems to kill exceptionally well but I haven't had an exit from a fox yet. I have more confidence in the 25g berger for fox than the 20g vmax

Mirrors my experience exactly.

I have been using the Berger 25g match bullets on fox and small game. Seems to kill exceptionally well but I haven't had an exit from a fox yet. I have more confidence in the 25g Berger for fox than the 20g vmax

Here are a couple of examples where the Berger 25s went right through. Both were angling shots that went in just behind the left shoulder, and both animals dropped on the spot. Ranges were 190m (L) and 165m (R). Exit or no exit, the Bergers kill foxes very well indeed.

View attachment 44893 View attachment 44894

I do have some Hornady 20s and 25s in the cabinet though so I'll load some up and give them a go when I can.

Sorry to say LionGeorge but I think I picked up the last box of 200 .17 25grn Berger Match Varmint in stock at Norman Clarke last Tuesday! I was told they are no longer making these which is very disappointing as they seem to be about the only bullet I can get to shoot straight in my .17Rem (the V-Maxes in both 20 & 25grn flavours are hopeless!).

These Berger Varmint Match bullets have a very small HP and a decent BC (same as the 20grn V-Max) and I have only really tried them on corvids, but found no problems with expansion whatsoever - they kit form magpies a treat!

Here are a couple of examples where the Berger 25s went right through. Both were angling shots that went in just behind the left shoulder, and both animals dropped on the spot. Ranges were 190m (L) and 165m (R). Exit or no exit, the Bergers kill foxes very well indeed.

View attachment 44893 View attachment 44894

I do have some Hornady 20s and 25s in the cabinet though so I'll load some up and give them a go when I can.

Were these with a 17 remington or were they a fireball or hornet? I'm glad to hear that they will exit. My shots have been sub 100 yards which may explain faster fragmentation. To be honest I generally struggle to find the entrance wound as well as the exit, they just seem to fall over and go to sleep!!

.17 Remington Fireball (MV 3,500 FPS)

Makes sense, my MV is circa 4k fps which is probably sufficient difference to allow the bullet to come unstuck on impact, particularly when you add in the 100 yards extra range that your foxes were shot at compared to mine

Back