Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primos Trigger Stick V's Vanguard Pro Stick

Primos Trigger Stick V's Vanguard Pro Stick

Evening all,

Firstly, my apologies as I know this is a bread and butter question for the site.... stalking sticks!

However I am in the market for a set of tripod stalking sticks and haven't found a conclusive answer in any of the previous threads.

At present I use a polecat mono pod for the close combat nature of stalking Muntjac in thick woodland. Close cover, thick foliage and little set up time make it a good option.

On more open land, longer shots and therefore allowing longer set up time, I use my home made quad pod. Good bit of kit, very stable for longer shots though cereal or long grass but if a beast is grazing left to right or visa versa its a bloody pain to move without alerting your quarry. They are also long, noisy, cumbersome to carry and mark my stock.

I trawled gunmakers row on Saturday looking for something suitable. Not one shop was selling anything other than basic bi-pods alongside their decoy hides.

The two sticks that have caught my eye are:

1.) Primos Trigger Stick "Jim Shockey" Tall Tripod Shooting Rest 24"-62"

2.) Vanguard Pro series T68 tri pod.

I'm not a man for gadgets and I'm worried the trigger stick wont stand up to the riggers of daily stalking. It looks fantastically simple to use and the ease of adjustment is very appealing but I feel like the safe option would be to go for the Vanguards.... purely as there is less to go wrong.

Does anyone have experience of either of these two?

I don't want to fork out on something that in 6 months time is going to end up living in my garage for the rest of its life.

I've been using the Gen 2 tripod for around the last year and am well impressed.

We've also got 'em on offer!

Primos Trigger Stick Gen 2 Stalking Tripod

I've only briefly used the Primos - I saw the Vanguard at a show and almost lost interest at the first 'feature' shown which was the Velcro (very noisy) strap used to secure the legs

Aside from that it looked a very useful and usable bit of kit.

A friend of mine has the Primos which are pretty amazing - it looks like it shouldn't be dead robust, but it is or, at least, it seems to be so far.

It's easy to use, stoutly built, great grip, the rotating rest (independent to the rotating handle) is great if you are covering a wide area, I'm tempted myself having fooled with my mate's set. I put my bins onto them and didn't want to give them back

SD Regular
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Friend of mine has the Vanguard - they seem very nice. For me though, Bog Pod, without question.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Friend of mine has the Vanguard - they seem very nice. For me though, Bog Pod, without question.
    Eric keep clear of the Primos I am on 3 rd set in less than 12 months got another replacement set coming on Thursday legs don't drop when you need them to I also know 3 guys who have had the same trouble
    Keep on going to the end you never no what's round the corner

For tri pod I have bog sticks, but for a bi pod I use primos, 3 yrs old and no problems apart from losing a rubber foot in a bog

After much deliberation and multiple conversations I have decides to go with the Trigger stick. The vast majority of people have been over the moon with the stick and have said its definitely had a positive impact on the number of deer in their larder, as a result of being so quick, quiet, stable and easy to set up. This is coming straight from the horses mouth, from real world stalkers in real world situations.... That's good enough for me.

This may be too late for you Miles but...

Have you seen Hammond Sporting, Country Sporting Goods, UK ? They were on the BDS stand at the CLA - I was quite impressed. Quadpod with the ability to track horizontally.

I've got a Bogpod tripod which I find very good I must admit - you would be welcome to have a go if you are passing.

Just wanted to update you all.

I have been using the trigger sticks with great effect and I am very pleased with them. I have taken multiple beats in all sorts of different situations with these sticks over that last couple of months. Very pleased with then indeed.

I hope that helps with others decision making!