Steinert chronograph

1198neo

Has anyone used a Steinart systems chronograph?
It looks simple to use and can be placed anywhere along the flight path of the bullet.
Cheers
Neo

I started using one recently. It's certainly easy to set up, but used concurrently with a CED and a Magnetospeed it was very much the odd-man-out when it the recorded velocities for each round were compared.

I've always found the CED prone to show error messages unless the light is just right, and have doubted the reliability of its output as a result, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that its readings were a very close match to the Magnetospeed, which I rate highly, and rather disappointed that the handy and self-contained Steinert seemed out of step with the others.

I found the Steinert chrono to be extremely sensitive on how you set it up. If not all the angles where spot on, I got some results that did not match up at all. But when I got it right, it was very easy to use.

I found the Steinert chrono to be extremely sensitive on how you set it up. If not all the angles where spot on, I got some results that did not match up at all. But when I got it right, it was very easy to use.

Agreed, but this seems to be precisely its problem, because you can never know just how precisely it is aligned.

For example, if you align the chrono to the best of your ability (using the pistol-type sights built in, ensuring it is at least 3m from the muzzle, and remembering to compensate for the offset between the rifle and the chrono), shoot a string, then remove and realign the chrono, without touching the other chronos you are using as controls, and repeat this for every string, it will differ from them by different amounts for each string, and not just by a few feet-per-second, but by as many as 100 FPS.

Thus, however capable it may be of providing accurate readings when optimally set up, this seems to be fatally undermined by the impossibility of knowing that it is optimally set up... in which case, its other virtues, and it has many, are sadly irrelevant.

Has anyone tried a Steinert in comparative conditions like this and achieved reliable consistency?

I'm wondering if it might be worth trying to mount a 1 MoA red dot sight to it...

Last edited:
I have one of these and have the same issues with set-up, I now keep a box of factory ammo of known velocity to check it before testing new loads. That being said it's still a great bit of kit and so easy to use.
Mr Gain - liking your idea with the laser, I may make a mount between tripod and chrono with a weaver rail on it, would certainly take any variation out of the set up.
Twts

Last edited:
I may make a mount between tripod and chrono with a weaver rail on it, would certainly take any variation out of the set up.
Twts

Now I think of it, I have a tripod head with an auxiliary Picatinny rail on it (don't ask why!) so I'll give that a go too.

Back