shoot or no shoot !

SussexFallow

Went to a new permission yesterday to meet the owner. After a quick chat about boundaries while watching 30 fallow chomping her grass I later saw a fallow fawn with a busted front leg. Was getting about ok but only put it down whilst standing. So would you have shot it or left it?
Atb steve

I'd have probably shot it (although out of season- bit on he grounds of ending suffering) if the owner would not have objected. But not having been there who can really say.

I would have shot it without a doubt or second thought. Why wouldn't you? It may well get fly blown at this time of year in addition to the pain it is clearly in!
Baguio

I'd have probably shot it (although out of season- bit on he grounds of ending suffering) if the owner would not have objected. But not having been there who can really say.
Why do you need to be there to decide? The description is quite clear!
Baguio

Why do you need to be there to decide? The description is quite clear!
Baguio

Not really, there's all sorts of reasons why not. The op does it make clear whether he has been given permission to start culling right away (if not is it possible that to do so might cause problems with the landowner). the op does not make it clear whether here may be others on the land at the time which would make culling the deer imprudent at the at time. He also does not make clear whether a safe and clear shot was available.

had I been there it is possible that all these factors would have been ok, therefore I would have taken the shot. Therefore as you see the description was not quite clear enough for me to commit definitively without being there, a reasonable position I thought?

Seems like the perfect opertunity to shoot an injured animal and end existing or future suffering, whilst showing that deer stalking provides an ethical and needed solution to the control of the population. Rather than people thinking we just shoot them for fun. No farmer would allow a sheep of cow to limp around with a broken leg without doing what was required to end the suffering. If they did they could risk being accused of animal crulety. We hunters are no different. It is our responsibility to reduce or stop an animals suffering if we can. Just because it's a wild animal makes no difference. It may bugger up a stalk or scare off your intended target but that's just tough, our ethics should dictate that what is right be done above all else. This is not a dig at you and I understand you may have thought the land owner would question your decision to shoot a nice little bambi. It's your choice and you may well be happy you made the right one. I hope others will read and take on my thoughs for future decisions. Happy hunting. Ps I wish I had a nice bit of ground and 20 fallow to be having a go at. You're very fortunate. ATB.

Not really, there's all sorts of reasons why not. The op does it make clear whether he has been given permission to start culling right away (if not is it possible that to do so might cause problems with the landowner). the op does not make it clear whether here may be others on the land at the time which would make culling the deer imprudent at the at time. He also does not make clear whether a safe and clear shot was available.

had I been there it is possible that all these factors would have been ok, therefore I would have taken the shot. Therefore as you see the description was not quite clear enough for me to commit definitively without being there, a reasonable position I thought?
Do be serious Mike. That is a ridiculous post IMO. The OP was quite clearly asking for opinions on shooting it on welfare grounds not on permission or shot safety factors. I despair sometimes!
Baguio

Do be serious Mike. That is a ridiculous post IMO. The OP was quite clearly asking for opinions on shooting it on welfare grounds not on permission or shot safety factors. I despair sometimes!
Baguio

Perfectly serious, please re read my original post. I said I would have shot it In the absence of unknown circumstances which might preclude shooting it. Thought that a reasonable enough stance.

no need to ridicule me for that, you might not agree with me but please be civil.

Went to a new permission yesterday to meet the owner. After a quick chat about boundaries while watching 30 fallow chomping her grass I later saw a fallow fawn with a busted front leg. Was getting about ok but only put it down whilst standing. So would you have shot it or left it?
Atb steve

shoot. right there and then, no questions asked.

Perfectly serious, please re read my original post. I said I would have shot it In the absence of unknown circumstances which might preclude shooting it. Thought that a reasonable enough stance.

no need to ridicule me for that, you might not agree with me but please be civil.

That's not what you said at all Mike. this is your OP

No more and no less.

Baguio

That's not what you said at all Mike. this is your OP

No more and no less.

Baguio

Oh well, maybe didn't explain myself clearly enough. All I was meaning by the highlighted words into op was, that if I was with the landowner having a walkabout as described on the op, I would have (out of courtesy) asked them before shooting.

Probably not not enough for us to fall out over? Especially as we've not even met yet.

It was my 1st meeting with the landowner who wants a heavy cull. Told her the only thing I could shoot were roe bucks muntjac and any fallow on humane grounds. Didnt expect to find the poor bugger. The only reason it didnt get whacked was the 2 horses in between us. In my opinion a broken limb is just cause but wanted other views
Atb steve

Its your call boss and having dobin in the way was a good call not to have it sorted there and then, i feel you don't need to be told how to suck eggs or what is the correct thing to do mty, enjoy your new part of england feller, iam sure it will get sorted very quick in the correct manner if not already on the cards .
:tiphat:

Coming back to reality...did you have a rifle with you? If so 2 minutes of explanation to the land owner ,..if safe to do so job done under deer welfare ..no issue.

Steve you were the man on the ground it was your call you are obviously concerned by the injured deer and deserve full credit for that, don,t reproach yourself you may get another chance very soon,main lesson keep it in house and don,t seek opinions you knew what was the right thing by the animal:rolleyes:!

Back