Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which scope

which scope

Hi there all just an newby and although I've got a .308 savage on its way I'm stuck coz I haven't got a clue about which scope to fit, I'm just a beginner so advice would be greatly accepted, oh yes I'll be stalking deer and boar as soon as I possibly can.

2nd hand fixed magnification quality German glass - bigger objectives seem to be the thing for boar to get a bit more light.

Not only will you have the best glass at a reasonable price but should you decide to sell it will be worth at least as much as you paid for it. I paid 250 for my 2nd hand 8X56 S&B and it is still worth at least that much, probably a good bit more. So, in terms of value for money you simply can't beat having the best glass that costs you nothing over its life.

The marketing men will want you to buy variable maginification and illuminated reticules and all that sort of thing and after pondering this for some years I've concluded that I really don't need this stuff at all.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

The best you can afford is the simple answer.

I would recommend a good German/Austrian of lower spec than a Highly spec'd cheaper manufacturer.

8x56 is ideal for Boar an illuminated reticule would help but go for a little dot or cross not a fully illuminated reticule as that will bugger your night vision.

S&B or Swarovski ideally
    Last edited by long_range_rob; 26-07-2014 at 17:00.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

spend the money now and you'll never have to worry about the early morning or late evening stalk again. If you can afford IR, then go for it. If you don't need it, no harm, but a choice is nice.

Fixed power is good advice.
    Big scopes = bigger glass = more weight and bulk.
    8x56 is a sort of specialized scope for boar in the moonlight, going way back before colored lamps and all.

A top quality 6x42 has the same exit pupil, 7mm, to match your pupil, as the 8x56, and is not too much power for closer shots, because it still has a wide enough field of view. An older used Kahles, Swaro, Zeiss, or newer Meopta or Leupold 6x42 will let you see the hair on a boar at night, in the woods, with just a little moonlight, at 150 yards. It will let you shoot a deer in the heart at 300, or a fox on the move at 200. Light weight, rugged, inexpensive.

Ask some of these owners of them where to find a good used one.

Cheers m8 gr8 advice it helps some-what.

Thanx for the info guys . . . .

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

As above. i shoot a fair few boar using just moonlight and have never used illuminated ret i have used meopta 7x50 s&b 8x56 ziess duralyt 3-1250 but another to look at is karl kaps they are 100% on par with s&b and cheaper i just put a 2.5-10x56 on my .30 06 and so far im made up with it i haggled with yorkguns and got the scope and a pair of 8x42 kaps binos for a grand

Kaps 8x56 Riflescope

Also the binos are the nuts defo worth a look

As already said, a good fixed power 6x42 or 8x56 scope, s+b, swarovski, zeiss. Great glass for small money.