fallow - Moffat

novice

Quick question for those from that area.

If I saw a fallow buck in the dealers chiller with the tag reading "tillhill - Moffat", is it safe to assume that it came from the east of the M74, or do tillhill operate on the west side of the motorway from the Moffat site?

A nice beast as well, 56kg in the larder.

Novice

shouldn't be many fallow to the east as they've never semmed to have crossed the railway/m74 but there's sika to the east, fallow to the west though right up to the motorway from clyde wind farm down to stephen's croft power station

Thanks,for the input gents. Paul, your comments mirror what was my understanding.

Jimbo, are you saying there's a recognised fallow population to the east of the motorway? Might be some lucky stalkers with 3 species on their ground, roe, fallow and sika!

Novice

It may have come from near a piece of ground called Blacklaw Moffat.

Jimbo

Blacklaw itself has never reported any fallow previously certainly but sika have been taken, it would be cracking for all concerned if the fallow have made it across and likewise with the sika to the other side

Blacklaw comes right upto M74 but west side. When I looked at the ground ranger said Fallow had been shot there.

Jimbo

Don't know if the ranger meant to say sika maybe?

2009/10 = 21 Roe & 2 sika 2010/11 = 22 Roe
2011/12 = 21 Roe
1/4/12 – 31/01/13 = 18 Roe

(blacklaw)

I was under the impression fallow have been seen on the east side from a stalker that was previously part of the blacklaw syndicate

I take it that this was seen in the dealers recently. Must have a bit of a problem with the fallow then if they are not waiting for the season to start. :-| :stir:
I'm keen to get out on my ground a week on Friday (1st of August).

Plenty of fallow on the Greskine side right up to Clyde and down to Templand but never seen any East of A74. An occasional sika hybrid but no red either, although as said before hybrids have been shot well East of the A74 so why shouldn't fallow have crossed the road and rail system. In my area they cross the ralway either over or under and when I lived in the area up there they were both sides of the A74 near Auchenrodden at one time.

Never ever heard of any fallow across the east side of Mway, althou just missed 2 bucks driving down the apr (right next to mway) the other nite but they have never crossed it.
I also know the folk that run the game shoot on achenrodden for last 30 odd year as far as i know they have never seen a fallow on there ground, need to give him a text about something so will double check. To get to auchenrodden would also have to cross the river and the railway, very few deer seem to cross the river never mind the mway
Te fallow generaly don't go much above greskine, have done a lot of cutting and know the stalkers in the next blocks further north and never heard of any signs/sightnings in the woods above

But be very surprised if been shot on the east side of mway. The ranger for tillhill lives in the general moffat area (which could be the reason) and they also have blocks of forestry all over the place right throu the Sw scotland, he covers a massive area. Would say the above could be the reason as he will have deer coming in from all over the place when he gets going as he works hard at it

The fallow seem quite strange in that area despite being 1 or 2 very big herds near the edge of there territory go 2 miles on to similar land/habitat and they have never ever been seen. 1 was shot 2 years ago for the first time on a farm yet 1/2mile away there is a very large group of them, that has been there for 20+years in big numbers.
Seem quite contented/hefted where they are and not really spreading out anymore

worth asking your local fc rangers, they'll know for sure.

It was fc ranger that told me that 3 Fallow had been shot at Blacklaw apparantly there is a Fallow herd close by. Also the ranger called to see me on a syndicate lease at Moffat to do his periodic check and he had shot a fallow buck that morning and I saw it in the back of his truck.

Jimbo

no that's wrong unless it was in the last season they were shot, sika have been shot on blacklaw but if you were on the rivox viewing as well then it mentioed fallow had been shot. 3 were shot there between 2011-13

Hi Countryboy plenty of fallow on Applegarth Estate opposite Auchenrodden. Shot injured buck within 60 yds of Mwy on that side,he obviously could swim. There was a tunnel under the Mway quite large enough for fallow and believe me they use one here all the while under the East coast line. The piece of woodland next to the B road on the East side is wet and the railway runs through it,there used to be a fallow or two in that. It may be that they have now all been whacked as I am talking 10 yrs ago.
Never ever heard of any fallow across the east side of Mway, althou just missed 2 bucks driving down the apr (right next to mway) the other nite but they have never crossed it.
I also know the folk that run the game shoot on achenrodden for last 30 odd year as far as i know they have never seen a fallow on there ground, need to give him a text about something so will double check. To get to auchenrodden would also have to cross the river and the railway, very few deer seem to cross the river never mind the mway
Te fallow generaly don't go much above greskine, have done a lot of cutting and know the stalkers in the next blocks further north and never heard of any signs/sightnings in the woods above

But be very surprised if been shot on the east side of mway. The ranger for tillhill lives in the general moffat area (which could be the reason) and they also have blocks of forestry all over the place right throu the Sw scotland, he covers a massive area. Would say the above could be the reason as he will have deer coming in from all over the place when he gets going as he works hard at it

The fallow seem quite strange in that area despite being 1 or 2 very big herds near the edge of there territory go 2 miles on to similar land/habitat and they have never ever been seen. 1 was shot 2 years ago for the first time on a farm yet 1/2mile away there is a very large group of them, that has been there for 20+years in big numbers.
Seem quite contented/hefted where they are and not really spreading out anymore

Dare say it depends on ur defination of plenty, very few if any now and i'd i would never have described them as that plentiful on the east side of the river.
Are u talking about the road underpass or the big cundy/pipe above it? Doubt any deer use the cundy now snce the mway was built, i use it quite often to cross under the mway, the new section is a pain as u really have to scrouch down and a tricky waterfall/watergate at bottom and waterfall where it meets the old section which is a big pipe.

The numbers are nothing like wot they were since the old stalking tennants were kicked out, and as i said earlier the deer seem quite settled really. Even the areas with the highest densities the deer don't seem to move into neighbouring land that looks similar and no major barriers, yet they stay as a big group.

I think the most likely explanation is all the deer he puts in will be classed as moffat as he is losely based there and i imagine other tillhill rangers will also put there deer into the same dealers and will be labelled where they're based.
Or he has pieces of ground on the west side which is also ey possibly, as some woods will change there managent companies quite regularly so the sign at the gate might not be right anymore.

Hi again CB as I said ,it was ten years ago so things can change dramatically in that time and it depends on who the Tenants are. A murderous bunch could wipe out the fallow in that bottom area of their range very quickly once they know the ground.

Was on black law for 3 years never saw any fallow , sika yes also stalked rivox on opposite side of the m74 saw. Fallow regularly unfortunately on neighbouring ground

Aye there is no doubt there range is decreasing esp over the last 10-14 year.
But ur still a long way up to that achenrodden probably 2+miles over fairly open country + crossing a mway and railway (which has fairly steep sides for most of that section).

Never ever heard of any fallow ever being seen /shot on far side of mway, yet the graze the verges on the outside of mway fence and loads of quiet overpasses for them and the river is also easily crossable in thigh waders in mosrt places if not wellies, (althou i did get a lot of wet feet as a boy afore i could afford a set of waders when fishing those beats) so really no good reason why they have never crossed, but they just don't seem to

Back