Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 Synthetic

Sako 85 Synthetic

I wonder if anyone can help with this.

I am thinking of a Sako 85 as a first rifle and have been wondering whether to get a wooden or synthetic stock. I love the look of the wooden ones but having once knackered the stock on my favourite shotgun I've concluded that I'd probably be better off with synthetic. Ideally I want one that looks as plain and neutral as possible.

Some of the synthetic 85's I've seen have grey grip pads and a plastic slotted recoil reducer at the heel - similar to some of the more modern shotguns. Other synthetic 85's I've seen (including the ones on the Sako website) have black grip pads to match the stock and a plain heel pad. This is more the sort of thing I fancy.

Is the plainer one the more recent version or is there a difference and would I need to specify black grip pads and a plain heel.

Thanks for your help

When i was looking at getting my first rifle i was intent on a wooden stock sako 75, after talking to a few people who had synthetic i went for a stainless synthetic 75, i have a 75 Finnlight and a Sauer 202 Outback, i would not have a wooden stock rifle over a synthetic.

With the synthetic stock it dosnt matter if it gets scratched or soaking wet,
    the way i look at it is that the rifle is a tool and i find a synthetic stock rifle suits my needs best.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

As for me I won't have a plastic stock as I absloutely hate them ,the way they feel, the way they look.

Sure my rifles have gotten soaked, I simply dry them out later it's never caused a problem as yet and I don't expect it start doing so now.

On one particular Muntjac outing it rained buckets and I had to strip the bolt on my fairly new Brno ZKK 601 as the rain had even got into the bolt ......................... yep it was that wet. Oh and for the sharp eyed that is not the Brno .

That's the Brno

Brit I,d like to see you put one of those babies on the radiator to dry out!!!
    I can appreciate a nice bit of wood ,but for me synthetic has its place , Incidentally I have both.

Depends on how you 'view' your rifle. I look at my rifles as working tools. They are out in all kinds of weather, crawling through mud and crap and generally have a hard life. Wood quite simply isn't up to it. It also absorbs water and moves which obviously changes shape and therefore can affect accuracy. I don't have time to completely strip it between outings to dry it sometimes either (and I'd rather not strip it and disturb it too often at all!). A good synthetic stock with a stainless action will withstand so much more use and abuse than a wooden/blued combination. Serviceability and accuracy are worth far more to me than looks! Don't get me wrong, my rifles are well looked after and maintained, but I would hate to miss a shot where I was worrying about scratching my lovely walnut!
    How about a compromise with a laminate wooden stock? Feels the same as wood and can look good, but more durable than standard wood.

I went for plastic, married to a stainless action, as I shoot regularly and for long periods. The terrain I cover is also rough and the combo does get a bit of a doing from time to time so function and durabillity is important.

I would prefer a wooden stock but I'd rough it up in no time.Having said that,wood can be restored with an iron some wire wool and a bottle of good oil if you can be bothered.

I have an 85 and the soft touch panels are just that, soft! They have already worn smooth where they rub on my back. The panels are a light greeny colour and not that would be better.

Laminate is heavy so I'll stick to good wood the funny thing is that I have a couple of antiques that have seen the rigors of the hunt, one was built for the Scottish hill the other for use in South Africa where it not only hunted animals but man as well being used in the 2nd Boer war against the British Army yet both walnut stocks remain straight and true. In fact if it was not for the fore sight bead on the Mauser beign missing from rust on the thin blade which it sat upon I believe the sights would still be in regulation. The Mannlichers certainly are .

As for drying out it's simple have two

Hi Dovebob,
    I believe the grey grip pads and slotted recoil pad will be the finnlight model in which case it will also have a fluted barrel. The Other model you refer to will be the basic synthetic stainless version.
    Before you buy an 85 handle a 75 model - nicer stock, better feel.
    I also like the walnut and blued finish on my shotguns however I also have a syn semi auto and both rifles are syn and stainless steel - wash em down at the end of the day,no problems. Cheers.

wood expands which changes your point of impact /fact most competiton rifles target snipers etc all use sinthetik if your not in to one hole groups then get wood its warm to the touch looks nice but no matter who manufactures it it will be efected by humiditey etc carbon glas fiber stocks are cold to the touch may look militery in aperance but generaly are more robust hold better groupings as they dont expand shrink like wood at the end of the day its you pays your money you pick what you like

I love looking at wooden blued rifles like Brit keeps on showing but have to agree I would be afraid taking it into the field and scratching it also the wood issue may not be a big issue in the UK, but if you are on a hunting trip for a week or two in fiordland (averages over 7200 mm of rain a year) then your wooden rifle will not be up to the task. this is an extreme example but you get my point as I have seen a sako almost destroyed in this situation with it rusting (even with oiling) and the stock warping. it was never the same afterwards. The old trusty stainless synthetic however was fine and went on to take a scrappy bull wap at distance