Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2-1/2" Grouse cartridges?

2-1/2" Grouse cartridges?

What cartridges do you users of older/classic shotguns (with two and a half inch chambers) recommend for walked up grouse/grouse-over-pointers days?

I was thinking of something along the lines of 1-1/8 oz, No7 shot but what loads and makes of cartridge get the best reviews?

Your recommendations please.

The Gough Thomas Garwood classic load is 1oz of #6.
    He reckoned you got the best shot string and pattern from that.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    28g #6
    I agree but use a different brand, lyalvale supreme game. I've tried a few either side of this, particularly #6.5 for a while which received rave reviews (mainly from the guy at the time that was selling them to me in bulk) but I've come back to 6. You did ask for specifics so I told you but I'm not actually that fussed.

I wish I had this problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I wish I had this problem!
    Well, there might possibly be a job for you. I could be doing with a French interpreter on Aug 12th and 13th. Interested?

Quote Originally Posted by SL6.5 View Post
    Well, there might possibly be a job for you. I could be doing with a French interpreter on Aug 12th and 13th. Interested?
    That's a very kind response to my little quip, but I'm afraid that I've negociated all the fieldsports time I can for this year already, and Scotland's a fair trek away, especially on weekdays. That said, I'm happy to help out with any written materials or other linguistic queries you may need in the run-up. Thanks again!

I shoot some older AH Fox, Ithaca and Lefever shotguns, and was hunting quail which were holding close to the dogs before flushing in cold January days. I was using a 28 gauge bored SK SK, but found some Westley Richards 2.5 inch shells and used those in the Lefever with great results.

eley impax 6 ,later in the year might i change over to granprix still six shot ,there are no doubt better cartridges about,but i have used impax for 50 years

Eley Classic Game in 6's.

They are only available in paper cases and I like them for my hammer gun. They are coppered shot & do throw a tighter pattern than you might expect, which may or may not be useful.