Tikka T3 stainless lite?

JP

Does anyone have any opinion on this rifle, I currently have a rem 700 with heavy barrel that I got very cheap in 308. I am considering trading it in for lighter rifle as I do alot of stalking on foot and the moderated heavy barrel although very accuarte is quite heavy after an hour or more.

I am looking for 30.06 in the T3 stainless lite, X bolt stainless (not lite though) and the Finlite/Sako (although probably out of my price range!)

Any steer on a good stainless, synthetic (apologies to the purists!) lite rifle for 30.06 would be appreciated?
Cheers
JP

Wint on here has an X Bolt, why not PM him and ask what he thinks?

Tikka are a good rifle, but i would rather have a second hand Sako 75, and there are some 30-06's about. I have the Finnlight and they are excellent rifles.

ft

A short (ish ) barreled 30-06 is not going to have any advantage over a 308 when using up to 165 grainers.
Another option.
look at the weight of the tikka or finnlight. Then weigh the components of
your remmy. If you chop the remmy 308 barrel to 20", choose a light moderator and a lightish scope. Look at the options of an ultra light stock and you might end up with a rifle that weighs almost the same as a "light" but is much more accurate.

I was out this weekend with my new carbon fiber stocked 24" remmy 243 sporter and could have sworn the package was lighter than my mates 25-06 finnlight.
edi

flytie said:

Tikka are a good rifle, but i would rather have a second hand Sako 75, and there are some 30-06's about. I have the Finnlight and they are excellent rifles.

ft
tika and sako both use the same barrels the onley thing diffrent is one has a few more plastik bits but both should shoot the same and for all you purists out there federal manufacture sako amuniton ;)

wraith said:
flytie said:

ft
tika and sako both use the same barrels the onley thing diffrent is one has a few more plastik bits but both should shoot the same and for all you purists out there federal manufacture sako amuniton ;)

:lol: Oh I love this :)

Actually Sako Load the Federal for the European market. The guy who owns the gunshop I use mainly now. Well they were on a factory visit to Sako and he noticed a door slightly open that the guide was passing by so he hung back and stuck his head through to take a gander and low and behold pallets of Federal cartons. The guide realised he had lost one of the party and came back and said you should not have seen that and when Colin pushed the point he admitted that Sako loads the Federal line for the European market. It's saves on Hazmat fees. The packaging is made in the US and shipped over.

Wraith said "tika and sako both use the same barrels the onley thing diffrent is one has a few more plastik bits but both should shoot the same". I can but disagree.

If Sako and Tikka's use the same barrels why can't I get a Tikka with a fluted barrel like my Sako? Unless I buy and re-barrel of course.

Plus if you buy a Sako you get a cartridge specific action, unlike the tikka's one size fits all. You also get a single piece forged bolt, again unike the tikka.

Wraith was right about there being more plastic on the Sako though, fair play, they are much stronger stocks ;) I have yet to be able to get the stock to touch the barrel like you can on the "all weather" Tikka's :D

ft

Brithunter said:
wraith said:
flytie said:

ft

:lol: Oh I love this :)

Actually Sako Load the Federal for the European market. The guy who owns the gunshop I use mainly now. Well they were on a factory visit to Sako and he noticed a door slightly open that the guide was passing by so he hung back and stuck his head through to take a gander and low and behold pallets of Federal cartons. The guide realised he had lost one of the party and came back and said you should not have seen that and when Colin pushed the point he admitted that Sako loads the Federal line for the European market. It's saves on Hazmat fees. The packaging is made in the US and shipped over.
ok so sako manufacture federal yes so federal costs 25.50 for a box in 243 and sako costs 20pound a box think il purchase a lot more sako in future if they are the same rounds as federal :D sako and tikka use the same bar stock barrels how they profile themfor difrent moddels is a price thing tikka costs less so why put all the bells on the tikka then you would not purchase the sako marketing ploy give you a good example fishing rods now this years top moddel will be sage just for talking sake 2years down the line the same rod diffrent manufacturer :rolleyes: will be there top moddel the truth is there are onley so meney ways you can rap carbon cloth round a mandrel there are foure companes world wide that produce carbon cloth most rod companes just purchase the blanks put ther name on it coulor etc bit like lisenfeld german my ass nicosterling manufacture them or did before mr lisenfeld snuffed it every nut and bolt is identical to each other yet one is german one japan why would sako tikka use difrent barrels they are sourced manufactured on site why would a manufacturer sell a sub standard gun they dont they sell the same thing difrent pacaging

Hmmm whilst I cannot comment on fishing stuff not having done any for several decades now and while I did go for an interview at a company called "Thermopole" who make hand laid up carbon fibre hoses used by Formula One teams etc on their engines I don't know enough about carbon fibre and it's uses to make an enlightened comment :oops: .

I can however comment on this claim of yours:-

lisenfeld german my ass nicosterling manufacture them or did before mr lisenfeld snuffed it every nut and bolt is identical to each other yet one is german one japan

Hmmmm interesting as amongst my collection are several older Nikko Sterling scopes ;) I think, without actually counting them, that I have Five of the old Nikko Sterling Special Sporting, or Special (depending on year it seems) 4x32 scopes plus a 4x40 Platinum and none of them show any similarity to the Lisenfeld Jaguar 3-9x42 Spezial scope. The tube shape is different as are the adjusted dials and caps. Also having had both Gold and Silver Crown scopes in the past can say that they too did not have the same adjusters and features as the Lisenfeld so unless you can actually back up this claim with some sort of documentation or reliable eye witness testament then I call it BS ;) .

As for the differences between Sako and Tikka models is probably more to do with Berretta's marketing than anything else as when Beretta acquired both companies it all changed. The plastic, whoops sorry synthetic stocks ;) , are a Berretta design as is probably the T3 one size fits all action I am not that familar with the Sako 75/85 models so shall pass on commenting on them.

Oh I will say that when I brought this used Lisenfeld scope the dealer I got it from said that Lisenfeld did have a name for variable quality but the good ones were good and the poor ones gave trouble quickly and as this one had prooved itself to be good he was confident it would perfom well and so far it has 8) . It's back on the Majestic as I write this and I will sight it in in the morning weather permitting as it's been snowing. Horrible wet sticky snow that was coming down quite fast in a stiff breeze. Not ideal for sighting in.

I have a T3 Lite Stainless in .223, it took me over 2 years and a fortune to get it balanced. Its all down to the fact the Butt is so light, as soon as you put a mod on it, it becomes rediculously front heavy!!

It has always shot well and is great now but I would never buy another. My T3 Hunter in .243 is great straight out of the box!

Personal view of course, and if you have no desire to fit a mod then it's pretty good.

Frankly though, if you want something relatively light and don't want to break the bank, look at the Rem 700 range, my 700SPS in .308 is certainly NOT heavy and MUCH better balanced than the T3 Lite!

Oh dear Deker,

In my mind that is not a good recommedation as I abhore the Remington 700. Not even as a Gift would I have one and I really feel the introduction of the 700 was the start of Remingtons slide to where it is now with the throw away rifles they have introduced in the last few years like the 710 and the remodeled 770 add to that their attitude to their customers safety as they continue to fit a proven faulty trigger ...................... no way Hose!

Obviously a number of mixed views on the T3 stainless/synthetic..... (one one of the god things I like about SD is the broad spectrum of views that get generated to any question!! :) )

For what it's worth, I actually have a T3 stainless/synthetic in 243, with a swaro scope and a PES stainless mod up front. Sure, the balance changes when the can got attached, but I knew that was going to happen.

Do I like it? Yup. A lot. :)
How does it compare in the field to Sako/Remington/whoever else? Dunno, never used another for stalking/foxing. :confused:??:
Does it do what I want for my frequency of shoting, experience & capabilities? :)
Have I ever had second thoughts since I bought it? No. :)

I'm not necessarily saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, just giving you my thoughts as an owner and user of the rifle that you actually asked about. Perhaps others are lighter, a smidge more accurate, heavier, prettier, etc.. Be a dull world if we all liked exactly the same though, wouldn't it? ;)
ATB,

Merlin

Oh dear Deker,

In my mind that is not a good recommedation as I abhore the Remington 700. Not even as a Gift would I have one and I really feel the introduction of the 700 was the start of Remingtons slide to where it is now with the throw away rifles they have introduced in the last few years like the 710 and the remodeled 770 add to that their attitude to their customers safety as they continue to fit a proven faulty trigger ...................... no way Hose!

Ok, seems perhaps I have been fortunate with my 700SPS, I had heard they were not up to Tikkas but that has fortunately not been my experience....what is this trigger business on the Rems...mine is the X-Mark Pro??

And after spending a fortune on my T3 Lite I can happily report it is the best balanced of all centrefires now, just!!! It ended up as one of those bottomless money pit jobs where I was determined not to be beaten, but I wouldn't bother with another. As I said though, the Hunter (new version with shorter screw cut barrel) is fine straight out of the box with a P8 Compact screwed on the end!!

You have to ask yourself," Does this Deer / Fox / Rabbit etc Feel Lucky?", If it launches the chosen projectile in the required manner & has the required effect at the designated place, I could'nt care less what it looks like, If it looks tidy, well OK, life's full of little bonuses!;)

Ok, seems perhaps I have been fortunate with my 700SPS, I had heard they were not up to Tikkas but that has fortunately not been my experience....what is this trigger business on the Rems...mine is the X-Mark Pro??

And after spending a fortune on my T3 Lite I can happily report it is the best balanced of all centrefires now, just!!! It ended up as one of those bottomless money pit jobs where I was determined not to be beaten, but I wouldn't bother with another. As I said though, the Hunter (new version with shorter screw cut barrel) is fine straight out of the box with a P8 Compact screwed on the end!!

In answer to your question :-

"what is this trigger business on the Rems...mine is the X-Mark Pro??"

May I suggest you do a search, but be prepared for a shock, the problems with the Remingtons trigger, the accidents and deaths it's been responsible for and no I don't mean the quarry ;). One of the Remington employees even designed a safe replacement but the bosses decided it would cost too much to change and continue to pay out when sued is seems it's cheaper. I cannot comment on the X-Mark Pro trigger as I have never seen one.

However I know a lot of people like the Remington 700 and it sure would be boring if we all liked exactly the same. Now I ahve shot a few Remington 700's but I cannot say they are comfortable to me in fact they feel daown right horrible. I also don't like the way they are made to me it's like sten gun made out of bits of tube brazed together. I prefer traditionally made rifles ;).

In answer to your question :-

"what is this trigger business on the Rems...mine is the X-Mark Pro??"

May I suggest you do a search, but be prepared for a shock, the problems with the Remingtons trigger, the accidents and deaths it's been responsible for and no I don't mean the quarry ;). One of the Remington employees even designed a safe replacement but the bosses decided it would cost too much to change and continue to pay out when sued is seems it's cheaper. I cannot comment on the X-Mark Pro trigger as I have never seen one.

However I know a lot of people like the Remington 700 and it sure would be boring if we all liked exactly the same. Now I ahve shot a few Remington 700's but I cannot say they are comfortable to me in fact they feel daown right horrible. I also don't like the way they are made to me it's like sten gun made out of bits of tube brazed together. I prefer traditionally made rifles ;).

I already did a search and can't find anything, that's why I asked!

I have no problem accepting you are not a fan of the Remington and it doesn't concern me in the slightest, we all like/dislike different things for a multitude of reasons.

But Triggers killing people is another matter altogether, I would appreciate you pointing me in the direction of something which tells me about this trigger fault that has caused fatalities.

Cheers!

Hello decker !

The shooting life fed up with your Bull **** ! If you don't thing a faulty trigger can be a problem then perhaps you should take up reading ?

If I could be so bold as to point you in a direction it would be out the door !!

I already did a search and can't find anything, that's why I asked!

I have no problem accepting you are not a fan of the Remington and it doesn't concern me in the slightest, we all like/dislike different things for a multitude of reasons.

But Triggers killing people is another matter altogether, I would appreciate you pointing me in the direction of something which tells me about this trigger fault that has caused fatalities.

Cheers!

Hello decker !

The shooting life fed up with your Bull **** ! If you don't thing a faulty trigger can be a problem then perhaps you should take up reading ?

If I could be so bold as to point you in a direction it would be out the door !!

You obviously have some issue, but pehaps you should learn to read!! Too make it easier for you I added my previous response above!

I have to say it all sounds like a load of cobblers to me and appears as if the users are as much if not more to blame as any apparent defect in the trigger. You have to ask what these people are doing pointing firearms at people in the first place whilst tinkering with safeties. Muzzle awareness is everything.

Regards,

Tim

Interesting, does seem to ask some questions of possibly the trigger and possibly the owners.

Not studied it in detail yet but "if " there is a problem this would seem to be pre the X-Mark pro trigger!

Cheers!

Back