Jimny vs G Vitara?

Tikka 260

Looking to change my 12 year old Jimny, and looking at possibly a 3 door Vitara, as I don't want a great big pick up truck or least of all a Landy.

Any one have genuine experience of a Vitara as a stalking wagon, any input will be much appreciated.

Petrol / Diesel? - consumption?
Rear seats removable ?
Off Road capability ?
On road performance?

Thanks for looking.

ATB

No experience of either I'm afraid, but if you're looking to move the Jimny on I might be interested. Need to trade the bike in for something that will take a dog!

Which Grand vitara model /year are you thinking of

Thinking about 3 door petrol, as I don't read good things about the French diesel versions. Probably 4 - 6 years old, with all the usual caveats on high mileage etc. pre owned by Vicars wife who never went out of the Village ??

I would do the same treatment to it as my current Jimny, ie strip out the rear seats, put on proper wheels/tyres, install a rear cargo box, install the A Frame from the Jimny maybe for lifting fallow. It will be a one man stalking vehicle, but able to make the occasional road trip in reasonable comfort.

Any other suggestions?

Thinking about 3 door petrol, as I don't read good things about the French diesel versions. Probably 4 - 6 years old, with all the usual caveats on high mileage etc. pre owned by Vicars wife who never went out of the Village ??

I would do the same treatment to it as my current Jimny, ie strip out the rear seats, put on proper wheels/tyres, install a rear cargo box, install the A Frame from the Jimny maybe for lifting fallow. It will be a one man stalking vehicle, but able to make the occasional road trip in reasonable comfort.

Any other suggestions?
3dr 2.0 diesel. Best motor I ever had, 06 plate. Remap and would go like stink and still do 40mpg

A Jimny is way more capable off road than a Vitara bit if it's just for driving along rough tracks and fields then the Vit will be fine and a damn sight more comfortable on the road.

5 years ago I purchased a GV 4 door v6 petrol, automatic. Its been totally reliable save having to take off the LV lead to the starter as it was corroded.

Does 20 mpg never fails to start had a brilliant heater and warms up in 2 miles. Auto is great for shooting. Ideal height for shooting off roof with either back door open or sitting astride on the rear mounted spare tyre.

Changed rear wheel size to accept Event ML tyres and has never got stuck depite being in some very sticky situations. Costs £145 year to insure fully comp.

Easy to service and bits ar cheap. Good chasis but bit of rot rear wheel arches.

Split rear seat allows driver side to be put down and will accept longest weapons in covers and still accomadate 3 persons.

Faultless cheap reliable shooting truck would love to get a diesel which similar age are about £1.5k, one was for sale in classifieds on here.

D

Had a grand vitara for the last five years and it has been a great motor for foxing and stalking.get the five door deisel.back seats fold down no need to take them out, so you can take passengers easily.not that much bigger than the two door and you should get 40 to the gallon on a run. High seat.

Many thanks to everyone for their input to my question, much appreciate your time and experiences. I'll probably do the deed later in the year, but it seems that a GV of some kind will be the answer.

There will be a half decent Jimny on offer closer to the time.

ATB

Had a 3 dr GV 2000 petrol with decent tyres perfect shoot motor, went anywhere no problem, bit thirsty on the road though, rear seats fold down flat, enough space for me the dogs and the gear.

Back