best .22lr semi-auto

private fraser

A friend is thinking of putting in for his fac, just wants a rabbit/vermin rifle and not spend a fortune on it.
So I'm wondering what is good/reliable/reasonably priced?

I prefer my bolt cz452...it can put three shots into an inch at 100 but friend is interested in the semi-auto market.

I suppose the market comprises Ruger 10/22 or maybe cz512 or Mossberg...maybe s/h Buckmark.
What do folk have / like / recommend ?
Would appreciate accuracy / reliability info.

Thanks

Best I ever saw was an anshuntz 525 I'd avoid ruger 10/22 like the plague unless your friend wants to spend another six months and 1000 pounds getting it to shoot something like

Well since bolt is ruled out, the only real option is the ruger 10/22.

Its not that great a rifle but up to 60-70 yards is as good as a bolt in my experience. If he starts or is likely to be shooting past that, lots of upgrade bits that can help with that.

Or how about one of them new ISSC straight pulls. Quicker than a bolt, more accurate than a semi.

Ruger 10/22 is a good gun. Buy it, strip it, check it, treat it to an extended mag release and bolt hold open and an aftermarket trigger kit and you will have a cracker. You can pimp it, cheaply, anyway you want it.

Ruger 10/22 is a good gun. Buy it, strip it, check it, treat it to an extended mag release and bolt hold open and an aftermarket trigger kit and you will have a cracker. You can pimp it, cheaply, anyway you want it.
Aye new barrel , stock action trigger and mag and you've a cracking gun ;) lol

Best I ever saw was an anshuntz 525 I'd avoid ruger 10/22 like the plague unless your friend wants to spend another six months and 1000 pounds getting it to shoot something like

If it is for purely sporting shooting and not target shooting on the range then the Anschutz would be my choice also.

I've tried most of them and I found the CZ512 was more accurate than the others. ISSC do a straight pull 22LR which is almost as fast as a semi and that was very accurate indeed.

Have a look at a Voere, mines over 30 years old and still does the job well. You should be able to get 1 for around £100 in good condition.

CZ 512 is really nice. It and the .22 WMR shoot well. On the Ruger 10/22, spend a few extra dollars for the longer rifle over the carbine. I think they shoot pretty well. I am probably the only man my age in America, outside of a metropolis, who doesn't own one.

The best .22 LR semiautos, in my opinion, came from the heyday of the .22 LR in the 1950s and 1960s:
* Remington Speedmaster
* Savage had several models
* Marlin 99C in walnut ( which was later made a bit more cheaply as the Model 60 we have today).
* Weatherby XXII
* Anschutz
* HK

A friend is thinking of putting in for his fac, just wants a rabbit/vermin rifle and not spend a fortune on it.

I prefer my bolt cz452...it can put three shots into an inch at 100 but friend is interested in the semi-auto market.

I suppose the market comprises Ruger 10/22 or maybe cz512 or Mossberg...maybe s/h Buckmark.

Thanks
Browning Buckmark. End.

My brother-in-law has a Browning Buckmark .22 rifle, and it really shoots well, not surprisingly, as it is on their pistol action. Very solid feel.

There are a lot of neat battle rifle-alikes out now which shoot pretty well. HK MP5, SIG 55x, Colt AR, FN SCAR, S&W AR, etc.
I have a S&W M&P 15-22, which shoots pretty well, ragged hole groups at 50 yards. I have only been shooting the aperture sights, but I am going to stick a scope on the flat top and see how it shoots at 100 yards.

The Spikes Tactical ST22, 22LR semi auto is a great rifle. Has a dedicated mil spec 22LR upper and a mil spec lower. Very accurate and reliable. Wayne Titterton at Northwest Custom Parts is the Spikes Tactical importer here in the UK. The rifles have a great reputation too. Something to consider in my opinion

I like the Buckmark. I like the Ruger as well if you pull that stupid barrel band. The most accurate, stock standard rifle I've shot is the Brno 581 or, as it's known today, the CZ 512. Superb accuracy. The downfall it that the triggers can be testy if you dink with them. A 10/22 trigger assembly is relatively inexpensive.~Muir

PS: I've shot a half dozen of the Ruger 10/22 take down models and all outshot the standard carbine -barrel band and all!

Thanks
I prefer my Brno 452 as well due to it's accuracy and it will fire just about any bullet make you can lay your hands on. I also have a Ruger 10/22 which is great fun, fairly accurate and awfy fussy about which bullets you try to use and seems to prefer CCIs and when it's just been cleaned works brilliantly.

Cheers
Jimmy

Have a look at a Voere, mines over 30 years old and still does the job well. You should be able to get 1 for around £100 in good condition.

I could have written that - I've had my Voere since 1974 and can't imagine how many rounds it's had through it. It's very accurate and you can lock the action and shoot it as a single shot or as a semi-auto.

The barrel is long by todays standards and spare mags are hard to find but I've seen them for £50 gathering dust in dealers racks.

Currently got an old humpbacked BRNO which I really like and was cheap as chips but I've also had the following:

Rugger 10/22- Trigger kit,recoil buffer and extended mag-release fitted.Very accurate and sound as for a rifle to take round my traps but the mags proved to be a nightmare when lamping on dusty stubble jamming way too often.
CBC - looks and feels like a kiddies toy but really was a cracker at less than £100 new! Rough and ready but I only swapped that when my mate gave me his Marlin.
Marlin 7000- a proper work horse.Rubberised stock and thick bull barrel that added a fair bit of weight.For lamping it was the business and killed me 1000s of bunnies.Worked at its best uncleaned!

Out of all the .22LRs I've had the best were certainly a very tatty old Annie bolt action, the bolt action BRNO/CZs and my Marlin 39a lever action.Now if that 39a had only been a magazined rifle instead of tube fed..........................

A couple of replies mentioned the Anschutz 525 so I googled a couple of reviews and they were not good at all.

Overall the Buckmark sounds good. There are some cut down fully silenced barrel ones around, anyone had one of those?.
Also, anyone got the Mossberg Plinkster?. It may be a good gun but somebody needs to have a word with the marketing department for giving it a name like that.

Back