Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild boar press release

Wild boar press release

I've just copied this BASC press release from another website:

"19 February 2008………………………………………………immediate release

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) has welcomed Defra's decision to allow landowners to decide the priorities for the management of wild boar populations.

Many of the points raised by BASC in its response to the Defra consultation are being addressed through the provision of best practice guidance rather than implementing new legislation.

The Wild Boar Action Plan will cover a wide range of topics such as impacts of wild boar and their management, minimum recommended firearms calibres, best practice and safe shooting and public awareness and how to react to boar in the wild.

Defra has requested that BASC is represented on the steering group that will develop the best practice guidelines with the aim of having them completed by September 2008.

Alan McCormick Head of Deer Management at BASC said: "BASC is pleased that Defra has recognised that the local strategy for dealing with wild boar must be decided by those who will be most affected by their presence, the landowners, farmers, and wildlife managers in the areas concerned. This action plan is a positive first step in developing a coherent long term strategy for the management of this once indigenous species"

For more information please contact the BASC press office on 01244 573031"

No mention of close seasons, protection of suckling sows etc, anybody know of any more details?

I looks like DEFRA spend years and a shed load of money on research and consultation and then have done a complete cop out.

I'll try and find out more.

A litte too late methinks! It's a good job we have dedicated and responsible members of the deer stalking/managing world to 'step up to the breach'!

What! We don't have a wild boar problem in the U.K. do we? How long has it taken for these people to wake up? And when they do finaly remove their heads from their a....... they bravely, let someone else decide what to do. Any vacancies for a common sence individual with ears that hear and eyes that see? I think not, I don't have that all important degree!

Right on Mark!
    You are right on that score. Its all fart assing about and ticking the right boxes with that lot!

Does anyone think it is better not to have a close season?

This allows certain landowners who WILL want the animals eradicated to do it through shooting, rather than resorting to poison etc which they almost certainly will....

Any views?

To be honest I think its a good thing. Bearing in mind what kind of country we now live in, I think we could have expected total eradication as the policy. This way, we need to ensure controlled expansion so that land owners are content and in three years when defra look at it again, they will have no need to change the policy. Its embarrassing to employ people to take three year to come up with this, but it could have been worse.

In response to Grant Oliver,
    I agree, although having spoken to European hunters, the general opinion is eradication was never an option. It would just have been another way of getting egg on ones face. The population abroad seems to be as unmanageable as deer are here. It is just a case of doing your best. Bearing in mind the number of piglets born each year with no natural predators, I think we have a superb new quarry species up and comming. Imagine if our deer produced in such numbers, there wouldn't be room to get in between them. In Poland for example the forestry PAY the farmers for the damage caused, they just can't shoot them quickly enough. I feel for the farmers who will undoubtedly suffer crop damage, maybe it will come that they sell the sporting rights for boar for more than the crop value anyway.
    Watch this space I think it will be very interesting, but inevitable.

Hi Mark
    My concern was the absolute numbers of animals. Defra are saying that:

The English feral boar population is estimated at no more than around 500 in the established populations, and fewer than 1000 in total. There are three established feral breeding populations of feral wild boar in England:

The largest, in Kent/Sussex was estimated in 2004 at approximately 200 animals in the core distribution area;
    The second largest in the Forest of Dean/Ross on Wye area, where there may be in excess of 50 animals;
    The smallest is in west Dorset, where there are still believed to be fewer than 50 animals.

If this is true I would have thought eradication was possible. As you say though with breeding rates as they are it might not be possible in three years. So overall this should is very positive, as long as we can keep landowners on side.

This is complete rubbish on the part of DEFRA! I can't speak for the other populations but as those on here who have had the pleasure of stalking in Herefordshire will know, the Forest of Dean population is way in excess of these estimates.

About the time that DEFRA thought there were 50 in the whole of the area which contained two distinct populations. I saw over 30 in one night whilst out with j.d.m., with many more unseen in the crops and also at the same time I saw a photograph of the other Forest population taken over 15 miles way as the crow flies in which there were 34 animals. So that puts about 70 boar in just 20 acres or so of the 30,000 acres of the Forest of Dean and outlying woods and none of these were in the main forest.

This was in 2006 and since then the boar have spread out through almost the entire Forest of Dean, down the Wye Valley and over the Wye and into Wales.

My guess would be that the population in the whole of the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley is now the largest in the UK and is certainly no less than 200 and may be as high as 500 which is almost twice what DEFRA think are in the whole of the Forest, Kent, Sussex and Dorset.

If they have made similarly inaccurate estimates in Kent/Sussex then who knows how many are currently at large.

DEFRA do not inspire me with confidence given that only a few years ago they were denying the existence of feral boar at all despite some being loose in Kent/Sussex since 1987.

Total eradication was never an option once we were up to four or five populations and once the animals were in a large forest like the Dean or a wild area like Exmoor. DEFRA have been experimenting with contraceptives in the Forest of Dean and this is the only possibility for any sort of eradication programme but there are huge difficulties with using any contraceptive to lace food with unless it is species specific which the current version is not.

I do feel sorry for landowners as boar will make a complete mess of a field or crops but as many have said we have a new sporting resource that will hopefully be with us for a long time.