25 06 rounds

Finnish

At the moment I'm bying home loads from the guy who I purchesd my rifle from. 115 grain black stick ballistik tip. I have shot quite a few Deer nice shots as well but they all don't go down straight away. A few friends with a bit more exsperance than me are telling me the rounds are to powerful is this true? They say there going straight through and not doing much damage on inpact. If this is the case what factory rounds are people buying I might just try some thing different.

100gn ballistic tips in 25-06 work well in my mates rifle, seen a few perfect mushrooms he's recovered from bigger deer.

Finnish,

It is not a bad thing if a deer that has a perfect Heart/Lung shot, runs anything up to 100m it depends a lot about the state of the deer when the shot is taken... I would say the average of a deer that has some sort of an idea that you are there tends to be 30m - 50m.

If anything when with clients, I get more alarm bells when an attempted Heart/Lung shot drops the animal on the spot... As this can sometimes mean spine shot or that the round has crashed through the front shoulders... The front shoulder issue as long as its a clean kill is not so much an issue for me regarding meat damage but just a question of why the shot ended up where it wasn't intended...

Trying to think i would say that with myself and with clients, maybe 20% of "perfect chest shots" drop deer on the spot...

Guys would be interested in other peoples thoughts on this...

Alex

i think a lot of it is also to do with what type of deer you are shooting,a bullet that expands well in a large red probably wont in a light framed roe.would be interested if any of the many ballistic minded guys on here have done tests on different bullet weight and types to match to deer species.i may be wrong but i would have thought that a roe would reqire a smaller bullet at a greater speed to achieve the same expansion as a larger slower bullet on a red or sika. any thought guys?

Finnish, I agree with what has already been said by the other posters regarding reaction to shot - I don't think you have much of a problem.

As an aside, and I'm only looking to give you a heads up if it is applicable, how are you fixed legally to 'buy' rounds from the guy who sold you the rifle? Is he an RFD or otherwise authorised to sell ammo and how does it get entered onto your FAC? If he is a private individual selling to you then could it be construed as doing it by way of trade? Depending on the circumstances this section of the HO Guidance might apply.

Business and other transactions
5.14 A person commits an offence, if by way
of trade or business they are engaged in the
manufacture, sale or transfer of shot guns or
firearms or ammunition to which section 1
of the 1968 Act applies and is not registered
as a firearms dealer (see Chapter 16). This
requirement extends to persons who repair,
test or prove such firearms or ammunition.

Lots of questions I know but we all have to be aware of how things can be viewed by the authorities and not put ourselves on offer. If none of it applies then ignore me and I'll crawl back under my rock. ;)

Its all legal the guy has a firearms shop mate. And a clay shoot and a rifle range.. :)

Orion said:
Finnish, I agree with what has already been said by the other posters regarding reaction to shot - I don't think you have much of a problem.

As an aside, and I'm only looking to give you a heads up if it is applicable, how are you fixed legally to 'buy' rounds from the guy who sold you the rifle? Is he an RFD or otherwise authorised to sell ammo and how does it get entered onto your FAC? If he is a private individual selling to you then could it be construed as doing it by way of trade? Depending on the circumstances this section of the HO Guidance might apply.

Business and other transactions
5.14 A person commits an offence, if by way
of trade or business they are engaged in the
manufacture, sale or transfer of shot guns or
firearms or ammunition to which section 1
of the 1968 Act applies and is not registered
as a firearms dealer (see Chapter 16). This
requirement extends to persons who repair,
test or prove such firearms or ammunition.

Lots of questions I know but we all have to be aware of how things can be viewed by the authorities and not put ourselves on offer. If none of it applies then ignore me and I'll crawl back under my rock. ;)

I have a lot of 25-06 brass for sale if you want some to experiment with?

100g SP l've heard drop the smaller species very well - F/S/R you need a 130-150g - Fed do some as well as RWS i think??

I use Federal Premium 100gr ballistic tip rounds. I find when shooting Roe that most go down to the shot if hit just behind the shoulder (lungs rather than heart). Of course, as already stated, it depends if you've stalked in unnoticed or if they're alerted. I've noticed a huge difference in distance run since switching from .243

Back