Bear Grylls may have competition

I like this guy a lot. Subscribe on Youtube and really enjoy his videos.

Nice part of the work you live in Timbo! Spent Christmas 2002 staying at Kuaotunu Bay on my honeymoon. After Christmas lunch with our hosts I recall we headed to the beach with a bottle of something and watched dolphins and followed penguin tracks!

Cheers,

Andy

I like this guy a lot. Subscribe on Youtube and really enjoy his videos.

Nice part of the work you live in Timbo! Spent Christmas 2002 staying at Kuaotunu Bay on my honeymoon. After Christmas lunch with our hosts I recall we headed to the beach with a bottle of something and watched dolphins and followed penguin tracks!

Cheers,

We spent March 04 at the same spot mate. Probably same hosts too, Bill and Lorraine ( they share our surname ).
Four hours after landind in NZ we were walking on Kuaotunu beach when I heard someone call out "oi Penguin" which is my nickname.
It was a guy I grew up with in UK who was on holiday in the same spot

http://www.kuaotunubay.co.nz/

Last edited:

From the website quoted above...

"If it came down to it, and you were one of just two people left on Earth, you'd be hoping the other person was Josh Marcotte.
Also known as "the Kiwi bushman". Mr Marcotte is a hunter, a fisher, a butcher, a chef, a survivalist and quite the raconteur.
He's world famous in Ross, South Westland, but soon his fame is about to go truly global. This rugged mountain man, who as a kid idolised Barry Crump, is about to give Bear Grylls a run for his money.

I disagree with the first sentence though.....Carol Kettles for me, aye
:)

We spent March 04 at the same spot mate. Probably same hosts too, Bill and Lorraine ( they share our surname ).
Four hours after landind in NZ we were walking on Kuaotunu beach when I heard someone call out "oi Penguin" which is my nickname.
It was a guy I grew up with in UK who was on holiday in the same spot

http://www.kuaotunubay.co.nz/

It was Bill and Lorraine we stayed with... small world! Fantastic couple and really hospitable. We were a bit unsure about what our options would be for Christmas dinner and asked them about booking us something in Whitianga. They said they could but made it clear they'd be mortally offended if we didn't have Christmas dinner with them. We did the latter, along with a retired English couple (who were following the England cricket team on their tour) and a Thai girl that they had staying with them on some sort of semi-formal exchange visit. Seem to remember turkey along with pad thai noodles - just one of many things that made it a memorable Christmas.

We liked it so much we went back the following year!

Sounds like you made the move permanently? We were sorely tempted after two visits but we chickened out as we knew family would be gutted... I'm sure we made the right decision... :doh:

There are tons of films to watch on his Youtube channel Paul. Just be prepared to see some different approaches to what constitutes an ethical shot. Not always a heart & lung 'banker' and no qualms about taking shots that would get slaughtered on here, but I have taken that to be a product of the terrain they are hunting in and their objectives being weighed more heavily towards meat hunting rather than a more purist (UK?) stalking ethic. All great stuff though and a lifestyle that looks hard to beat!

cool, lets hope to see more stuff from him

I'd hunt with josh any day of the week behind his very comical style he is a very knowledgable guy and hunting with him would be an absolute pleasure as well as a such a laugh .stalking / hunting needs characters we're far too stuffy ,I want to have a good crack when on a hunting trip and you'd certainly get that in spades .love watching his you tube vids .

Back