Hog Casings - How long do they keep?

flyingfisherman

Ive just got my sausage stuffer and want to knock out some sausages. Last time i made some with my mincer, i went to my local butchers and he gave me a hank already soaked. Ive been looking on Scobies and the smaller quantities still have 3 or 4 hanks, with each one doing 100lb of sausages. Im more likely to be doing 30 - 50 lb in one go, so do the other hanks (believe they come in salt) keep for a while? Also, can you easily split a hank in half..?

Ive been looking at hog casings 32 - 34mm from Scobies.

Ive just got my sausage stuffer and want to knock out some sausages. Last time i made some with my mincer, i went to my local butchers and he gave me a hank already soaked. Ive been looking on Scobies and the smaller quantities still have 3 or 4 hanks, with each one doing 100lb of sausages. Im more likely to be doing 30 - 50 lb in one go, so do the other hanks (believe they come in salt) keep for a while? Also, can you easily split a hank in half..?

Ive been looking at hog casings 32 - 34mm from Scobies.

Once soaked they become very soft and fragile after a day so soaked and unused = wasted.
If they are still in salt they keep for many months in the fridge, the once I get don't appear to have a 'use by' or 'best by' date on the packaging.

I get mine from here they now do 5m lenghts however ive got a pack from last years waiting do do some its unopened and salt packs so should be good to go

Hog Casings

they do more of the short lenghts on Ebay

Sausage Casings Skins Natural SHEEP 24 26 Good Length Make Chipolata Sausages items in Butchers Sundries store on eBay!

Funnily enough i saw those on fleabay. what are they like? I'd be gutted if i made 60lb of sausages to find out the skins were gopping! Im on about the butchers sundries ones..

Erik, thanks for that, those ones you use seem quite expensive? £17.00 for 100m vs scobies at £10.00. Have you tried many varieties, do they vary in quality and texture etc?

We wholesale them for 9.00 a pack there's a hundred meters they come with a year's life on them 10 packs in a bucket ,as said once they have been soaked 2_3 days and they are not much good ,

We wholesale them for 9.00 a pack there's a hundred meters they come with a year's life on them 10 packs in a bucket ,as said once they have been soaked 2_3 days and they are not much good ,

my boss might be interested in those mate,we get ours from down south somewhere,mcj or mjc casings......

I have heard of them ,I can give you the number off a guy Danny where I get ours from he could probably do a better price if you buy a barrel there's a 110 packs in a barrel but you should get them for 7.00 a pack that way and you get a nice screw lid barrel handy for put deer skin and waste in ,I can sell to your boss if he wants but the postage might be expensive unless you buy in bulk ,let me no if you want his number ,or if you want me to sell them

Last edited:
I take out what I need then chuck the left overs back in a ziplock bag full of salt.

ive used them a year later with no problems

I have heard of them ,I can give you the number off a guy Danny where I get ours from he could probably do a better price if you buy a barrel there's a 110 packs in a barrel but you should get them for 7.00 a pack that way and you get a nice screw lid barrel handy for put deer skin and waste in ,I can sell to your boss if he wants but the postage might be expensive unless you buy in bulk ,let me no if you want his number ,or if you want me to sell them

I actually spoke to him today,and he seems quite happy with our current supplier,but many thanks,he may even change his mind.........

I use what I need and then re-salt what is left. I don't even keep them in the fridge. Must be at least a couple of years old now.

There is only so much 'Toad in the Hole' a man can take!

Glenure - do you mean you soak the whole hank, use what you want then resalt? Or just cut a hank in half and stick the remainder back in the salt?

I try and judge what I need but if I have soaked it, I do not worry about re-salting what is left. But loads of salt!

iv just used some i bought from butchers sundries about a year ago i think thy come in five meter lengths and probably a bit dearer than buying bulk ,just depends how often or how many sausage you make but after a year or so unopened in the salt were perfect i try to judge what i need and soak em for a while and if to much just throw em,they arent worth saving to me but thats just me.il buy more next time and make more burgers and sausages as i pay everyone with em instead of cash the plumber the joiner etc,im gona try the window cleaner next LOL

Back